In-State/Out-Of-State

Hi,

Ive applied twice now, and only gotten one interview this past year, so I decided to apply to some graduate programs - the Georgetown SMP, and Hopkins’ MHS program. My wife has just started the Nursing program at Hopkins, and I’m pretty certain that the benefits of the MHS outweigh the potential drawbacks with regards to medical school.

We’re from CA though, and we both (me a bit more than her, but thats as may be) want to go back to CA eventually. I have no doubt that I’ll excel in my classes, so that’s not a concern. The debt, thats another matter, but one Ill maybe ask about in another post.

Now that I’ve gotten all the background out of the way, I’m wondering how or if I can apply to the UC schools, and ideally U of MD too, as in-state. I think that the number of top notch schools in CA and the fairly good break they give you on tuition makes it important for me to figure out the residency issue before applying. U of MD doesnt accept very many out of state students, but it looks like I’d be a pretty competitive applicant if i were in-state, so I’d like to have it both ways if thats possible.

Suggestions?

Hi Rigel, my thought is this…from reading about how competitive it is to get into a California medical school even for state residents, I might consider staying in Maryland. There are a couple of reasons for this…U of MD is a good school. You also have other good schools (who knows, maybe even Hopkins?) in the area. Also, your wife might have a better chance at getting established in Maryland since she is doing her nursing there. You can always look at going back to Cali for your residency.

The rules on state residency are set by each state and are reflected by the rules every state-funded programs’ rules to consider you as “in-state”. There is no Federal standard. You will find variations by state - some subtle and some more substantive. The best way to determine your eligibility to apply as a resident will be to contact the Financial Aid dept for each program you are applying to.

If you live, work, pay taxes and have done so for a significant period of time in the State of Maryland, I suspect you are already a resident. By the same token, if you have not in CA, I doubt you will qualify there. However, some states - I have no idea about CA - have plans where you can apply as having “significant ties” to the state. While that does not convey to you the advantages of applying ‘in-state’, it is better than being a random applicant, I would think…

• rigel Said:
Hi,

Ive applied twice now, and only gotten one interview this past year, so I decided to apply to some graduate programs - the Georgetown SMP, and Hopkins' MHS program. My wife has just started the Nursing program at Hopkins, and I'm pretty certain that the benefits of the MHS outweigh the potential drawbacks with regards to medical school.

We're from CA though, and we both (me a bit more than her, but thats as may be) want to go back to CA eventually. I have no doubt that I'll excel in my classes, so that's not a concern. The debt, thats another matter, but one Ill maybe ask about in another post.

Now that I've gotten all the background out of the way, I'm wondering how or if I can apply to the UC schools, and ideally U of MD too, as in-state. I think that the number of top notch schools in CA and the fairly good break they give you on tuition makes it important for me to figure out the residency issue before applying. U of MD doesnt accept very many out of state students, but it looks like I'd be a pretty competitive applicant if i were in-state, so I'd like to have it both ways if thats possible.

Suggestions?

Google “california state residency requirements” and you’ll get a number of hits about what it takes to be a CA resident.

Cheers,

Judy