Input appreciated!

I am filling out my AAMC application and am wondering how ‘wordy’ to get on the employment descriptions. Here are a few samples:

Job: prenatal educator

I worked along side a Registered Nurse to provide a comphrehensive prenatal curriculum which covered topics related to pregnancy, delivery and the post-partum period. Responsibilities included organizing material and presenting it in an informative yet relevant manner, researching additional information as requested by the client, and educating new parents so that they felt like a capable part of the birthing process. I was able to teach through my own experiences what to expect during pregnancy and the post-partum period.

Job: Special Procedures Coordinator

Responsibilities included scheduling all lab, radiology, and nuclear medicine procedures; coordinating them with the physician appointment and any additional procedures. This position required knowledge of all the preparations neccesary for each procedure. I worked directly with physicians and staff to ensure the accuracy of the ordered procedures. Efficiency, comprehension of medical information, confidentiality, and attention to details were skills required to ensure excellent patient care.

I would word it like this:

“Job: prenatal educator

I worked along side a Registered Nurse to provide a comphrehensive prenatal curriculum which covered topics related to pregnancy, delivery and the post-partum period. Responsibilities included organizing material and presenting it in an informative yet relevant manner,educating new parents so that they felt like a capable part of the birthing process.”

and

“Job: Special Procedures Coordinator

Responsibilities included scheduling all lab, radiology, and nuclear medicine procedures; coordinating them with the physician appointment and any additional procedures.”

I think “KISS” is the best, I do not think you should be too Wordy on these things.

Just my Opinion.

The first Job seems interesting to me.

For my experiences, I kind of did a resume-style bulleted list (using active verbs to describe my responsibilites and accomplishments) and then wrote a brief paragraph explaining the relevance/import of the experience. Some jobs lent themselves more to one or the other, but for me, it forced me to stay concise while still leaving me some flexibiilty.

KISS is optimal as adcoms get a “glazed over” look after reading hundreds of applications.

• efex101 Said:
KISS is optimal as adcoms get a "glazed over" look after reading hundreds of applications.

It took me years to get over my "glazed over" appearance. :-) (And make that thousands of applications, not hundreds. )

I agree with DRFP for the first description, and the original for the second. FWIW.

Cheers,

Judy

He he, yup, I did admissions during my 4th year of medical school and I can totally relate

It is a tremendous responsibility and not easy.

Teaching parents about the amazing process of pregnancy was my element!! I’d still be doing it if the new director of the program wasn’t totally bent on staffing with her own hand-picked people! You know something is your passion when you would do it for free!!