International experiences in med school

To me, having international experience in medical school (especially in M4 as an elective rotation) are VERY VERY important. I don’t know if anyone else is looking at this as a selection criteria for med school, but I thought I’d share some info I’ve discovered. (I posted this link in another thread, but it kinda got buried, so I thought I’d start another thread, totally dedicated to this topic.)

If you’re looking for international med school experiences, AAMC and another organization whose name I can’t remember have a database of med schools that officially offer them (sometimes you can request them from other schools, but that can be very difficult). Here’s the link:

International Opportunities In Medical Education

I’ve found this site INCREDIBLY helpful. It’s basically a list of schools offering these programs. It doesn’t describe the programs, or how in-depth they are; you have to go to the schools’ Web sites to find out that information. But this is a good starting point.

Another thing I discovered was an entire program devoted to global medicine. It’s at the University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine. It sounds absolutely amazing, and I plan on contacting the directors for more information (U of C is practically in my backyard, so that’s convenient!). It’s called The Global Health Scholars Track, or GHST. Here’s a little blurb from the U of C Web site, to give you an idea of what it’s about (just to pique your interest, fellow pre-meds ):

“Recognizing that true competence in global health requires more than clinical skill, the GHST curriculum draws upon disciplines throughout the University and exposes students to other critical fields including epidemiology, biostatistics, economics, sociology, anthropology, law, ethics, and human rights. The GHST combines didactic, seminar, clinical and research components with the goal of providing students the skills to function more effectively in any global setting, working not only with individual patients, but with health systems and institutions.”

Again, here’s the link, for anyone interested:

Global Health Scholars Track - University of Chicago

If anyone wants to know what I find out from the directors of the program, reply to this topic or PM me.