Interview prep, what else?

So I have my first interview on Thurs and I have done all the standard prep stuff: read up on the school, went over my app/personal statement, reviewed SDN interview feedback, organized a list of questions to ask interviewer, am familiar with the directions etc, my suit is pressed, my shoes are shined, what else should I do? Thanks,

Tim

Good luck on your interview - it’s your time to shine!

Tim,

just relax and be yourself .

You’ll do just fine!!! Don’t panic and everything will be allright.

Good luck on Thursday,

Kasia

• formerartist Said:
So I have my first interview on Thurs and I have done all the standard prep stuff: read up on the school, went over my app/personal statement, reviewed SDN interview feedback, organized a list of questions to ask interviewer, am familiar with the directions etc, my suit is pressed, my shoes are shined, what else should I do? Thanks,

Tim

I find it helps to smear fake blood on your gums and teeth right before the interview, and smile a lot.

Seriously though... best of luck to you!! You'll do fine if you just be yourself. Don't do any of the obvious bad things (in addition to my joking comment above) that anyone who has ever been to a job interview (e.g. anyone posting on this board) knows not to do.

I was seriously stressed for my first interview, but after that I realized I was blowing the difficulty gauge way out of proportion. Remember, the majority of folks interviewing are in their early to mid 20's and have likely never been in any kind of high-stress interview of any type. At least that's where I think all this "stress" hype comes from, because after 5 interviews, I have yet to be in a single one that was even remotely close to being as stressful (in actual content, or even interviewer attitude), as a typical (or even easy) technical interview for a programming position (as a personal example). It's all pretty much "touchy feely" questions that can really bring out the best in you. It's a great opportunity to show how much more comfortable you probably are with yourself, than the younger folks you are probably competing with (I hope I'm right that you are on OPM because you're non-traditional! ).

Anyway, best of luck, again. You have good reason to be proud that you made it to this step, because there are a lot of folks out there (many who are probably highly qualified) who don't.

Well I had my first interview and I dont know if it was good or bad. Overall, I felt it went well, but the first half hour was spent going over my transcripts. She grilled me on all of my past academic mistakes, and there are plenty of them. After that we talked about grad school and briefly about my post-bac, in both of which my gpa was about 3.7. I showed her some pictures of my sculpture and we talkeed about art for a while, thrn we talked about my current job. The interview lasted an hour and 45 minutes. I spoke to others who had interviewed that day and they said their interviews were about 45 minutes long. Im taking the long interview as a positive because I think if she wasnt interested she wouldnt have wasted so much of her time. It was stressful in the beginning but more relaxed as it went on. I think I had a non-traditional interview, fitting I guess. The interview was at the NJ Medical school, now I have to wait 4 to 6 weeks to hear.

Tim

Congrats, I’d say the extra hour is an excellent sign, myself. The best interviews for me, whether it’s been med-school or job interviews, are the ones where the interviewer takes a true personal interest in who you are. That’s what separates you from the crowd. Nice job!