interview roller-coaster is hard to take

I’m feeling fairly beaten by the whole application/interview process. First you go up (get a secondary from a good school), then down (realize how much money you are spending), then up (get an interview invite), then down (get a rejection), then up (have a good interview), then down (another rejection). I don’t have any acceptances yet.
Although I’m doing well on getting interviews (5 out of 7 MD schools so far), I have no idea why I got rejected by the other 2. They were fantastic schools that only take a tiny percentage of applicants, but still I feel very disappointed that I “failed” and have trouble accepting that there are hundreds of applicants even more incredible than me! And I get worried that there are fatal flaws in my application that will come back and haunt me at the other schools.
I feel like my interviews go well when my interviewer has really read my file; otherwise, they get thrown by 20 years of work experience and I think I end up sounding like an indecisive waffler. For example, what can you do when your interviewer’s first question is, "Tell me, in chronological order, everything you have done since graduating from college?"
I do feel that I have learned to handle the age/significant other/children questions (I never mention the topics, and then they don’t either). And my black suits are just fine!
Can someone provide a bit of perspective to help get past this tunnel vision?
thanks

First of all, hang in there!!! 5 out of 7 interviews is very good! I doubt there are serious issues in your application with that many interviews. So you got a couple of rejections. I’ve got one in my file and one on the way.(haven’t heard from school since secondary in August!) That’s just part of the process.
The hardest thing about all this is the waiting. It’s the one thing we can’t do anything about. You WILL get an acceptance and that first acceptance will make it all worth it.
Keeping my fingers crossed that one of those schools gets their act together for you real soon!

Thanks Theresa - I got my first acceptance today! I don’t know how you arranged it, but thank you!

Hey meow-
Congrats!!! Way to go!
Christy

Quote:

Thanks Theresa - I got my first acceptance today! I don’t know how you arranged it, but thank you!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
I’m really thrilled for you. I know how good it feels!

Wow, that’s really great. Congrats and don’t fall off the roller coaster since you are as high as it goes at the moment

Meowmix,
Great news! Were you accepted at the DO school in Des Moines, Iowa? Sorry, I am not good with the abbreviated letters. I am orginally from Iowa. I know a family practice physician and a retired peds allergist here at Mayo that are graduates of the DO school in Des Moines. Congrats!
Shirl

Quote:

Meowmix,
Great news! Were you accepted at the DO school in Des Moines, Iowa? Sorry, I am not good with the abbreviated letters. I am orginally from Iowa. I know a family practice physician and a retired peds allergist here at Mayo that are graduates of the DO school in Des Moines. Congrats!
Shirl

Yes - I thought it was a very good school!

meowmix-
Congrats on DMUCOM. I’m due to interview there on 2/13. How was the 3 on 1 interview session? I’ve heard that you interview with a 3 panel group of 1 med student, 1 PhD, and 1 DO. Did your interview go well and how long did it take for your to hear about your acceptance after your interview date?

hey Chris, I PM’d you
MM