Interview Thread for 2005/06 Applicants

Let’s hear about those interviews. Please list the program with whom you will interview. And, once you interview, come back to the forum & provide your gestalt. Other applicants & future applicants will sincerely appreciate your efforts.

I interviewed at three different schools: DMUCOM, SUNY Upstate, and LECOM. I was scheduled to interview at VCOM, VCU/MCV, and KCOM. However, I have cancelled those interviews mainly because of financial considerations.
DMUCOM: The interview day was great! The new facilities are the best I interviewed at this year, and the people were so friendly. They seemed genuinely happy to be there. We were given all of the presentations (Financial Aid, living in Des Moines, rotations and a kick-butt OMM demonstration) first thing in the day. We were then taken on a short tour of the library and fitness center, then went to lunch.
After lunch, we each went to our interviews and then toured in more detail. The school has a surgical skills course in the second year that teaches you how to scrub-in, how to do different sutures, and proper procedures while in the OR.
The interview consisted of 3:1, I faced three interviewers, with a fourth person just observing. It was VERY non-stress. We talked a bit about my soccer coaching experiences, and my ELISA research, then the interviewers all seemed to want to talk about the merits of Des Moines (the city, not the school).
I was accepted there, and would attend, except for the fact that my state school tuition is unbeatable.
SUNY Upstate: Great school, the day was very similar to DMUCOM, except the interviews were 1:1, and the facilities are not quite as new. The people were super nice, and the two interviews I had were very conversational and non-stress. I will be attending, as I was accepted on 10/17/05. It was a tough choice between DMU and SUNY, with the tuition being the sole factor in my decision.
LECOM: I had a neutral interview experience. It seemed odd that they had security so tight in the building, and it seemed that everyone, though smiling, seemed strained.
The interview was 3:1, same as DMU. However, there was a sense of good cop, bad cop, with the third interviewer just taking notes. The bad-cop ended the interview by just standing up and opening the door, without a word. Odd.
The Admissions department was completely non-communicative, never once returning any email inquiries. I was accepted, but declined the offer.

I interviewed at USUHS in Washington D.C. on 10/20. It was an awesome experience. Everyone was really friendly (one of the ladies in the admission’s office kept telling us jokes and about the latest episodes of her favorite tv shows–it was really funny). In the morning, we heard briefings from people who either worked at the school, or had gone there. That part was a bit intimidating. They made it sound like you were giving up your life to go to med school. But then we went on a tour of the campus with a student and got the real scoop. All the students seemed happy and relaxed. There was a real sense of community, which I really liked. I had two interviews, one with a 4th year student and the other with a Capt. in the Navy. The first one was like a conversation between friends, very laid back. I mostly got asked, why medicine and why military medicine. They definately wanted you to know what you were getting yourself into. The second interview was a little more serious, but I was prepared for all the crazy, “What if you were deployed…” questions. My favorite part was when I was leaving and the Navy Capt. says, “Now you go out there and tell your fiance that you’ve decided to go Navy.” That was pretty funny.
Overall, it was a really good experience and I’d love to go there. They told us 6-8 weeks before we’d hear, so I’m not expecting anything for a while. Now if only I could move the school to Colorado so I wouldn’t be separated from my fiance, it would be absolutely perfect.

Congrats on our interview-ees. I look forward to reading the acceptance thread!!
Kathy, MS-1

Hi, All!

I just had my interview at the University of Nebraska Medical Center. The day began at 10:30 a.m. and we were finished about 2:00 p.m. The assistant dean welcomed us and then we were divided into 3 groups. I was in the group scheduled to interveiw last, so we went with 2 MS2’s for a tour. They showed us the labs and classrooms, but the tour did not include the hospital or any of the research facilities (except the lobby). They were very eager to answer any and all questions we had about the program at UNMC. They had lots of positive feedback and no negative comments about their experience in Omaha. Everyone was happy there and enthusiastic about the school. There are 3 student-run clinics for 1st and 2nd year medical school students to be involved in clinical experiences, as well as time spent in clinicals each semester. Their curriculum is mostly systems based with approximately 3 PBL scenarios (lasting 3 weeks each) every semester.

When we returned from the tour, I had my interview with one of the faculty that teaches pharmacology. The interview is closed file and very low-key. We basically had a conversation about my interest in and past experience with the medical field, my outlook on the future of medicine, my activities outside medicine, etc. The only “hard” question was what kind of animal I would be? That one stumped me for a few seconds! I’m still not sure of his motivation in asking that question, though!!! He did bring up my age, but I didn’t mind discussing the subject. In the end, I feel that age was a positive aspect in his mind, not a detrimental one.

Cost of living in Omaha is still quite reasonable. Most students live close to campus and a nice apt. runs about $500/month (according to our student guides). There is also a “fraternity” house for medical students that is the cheapest way to go. It is only $200/month, including one meal a day 5X a week. Lots of the younger students were attracted to that option.

If anyone has any specific questions, feel free to PM me!

Lu

P.S. I almost forgot . . . the lunch was FABULOUS!!! I guess they are known for the meals they serve.

I don’t post as much as I would like, but I sure have appreciated this website. I also have a couple of interviews coming up and hopefully more to follow. It has been very exciting to begin to get some interviews. So far…
U. Washington 11/17
Colorado 12/4
Loma Linda 12/13
Still waiting to hear from 8 schools.

Hi there,
Did you meet Tommy Lee’s tutor? She is a medical student at Nebraska.
Natalie

I thought she was a pre-med?

Hey! Haven’t posted in a while, but I did go ahead and apply to osteopathic med school this year. I actually went even further out on a limb than I did last year. Last year I only applied 3 places, all allopathic; got secondaries and interviews at 2, but no acceptances. I went back and forth about the next step, whether to do a post-bac, master’s program, reapply with a wider net, etc. Finally got my application in for AACOMAS in late September, but I only applied to VCOM. Risky, I know, but my family can’t just move anywhere, and my husband could get a job there. He actually got a job, and now we are moving at the end of December. . . and now I finally got an interview invite from them tonight. I was really starting to get nervous about moving up there without even an interview invite. Anyway, I’m hoping to interview on Dec. 12, though I have to check with work first. I’ll let you know how it goes!!
alisonhester

Quote:

I thought she was a pre-med?

Hi there,
she was pre-med when the Tommy Lee thing was taped but has since begun medical school.
Natalie

Aha! I never watched the show but my husband loved it. I just remember him commenting on some hot premed

No, I did not meet Tommy Lee’s tutor. The med students I visited with on my tour of the school were both male.

I returned last night from attending my interview at George Washington University (plus a long weekend in DC with my husband, Doug). I was extremely impressed with the school! The morning began with a welcome by Dr. Schroth, followed by a tour led by Matt (Farber?) from the Admissions Office. Next, came lunch with several current medical students (MS1, MS2, and MS3). After lunch, we continued visiting with students and listened to a presentation on the track program being implemented this year while waiting to be interviewed. The two interviews each lasted approximately 30 minutes. One was with a faculty member (I interviewed with Dr. Goldstein-head of the Biochemistry Department) and one was with a student (I interviewed with a 2nd-year MD/MPH student). Since the interviews are closed file, they were very laid back and conversational. Mostly, they wanted to know why I chose medicine, why I wanted to go to GWU, what I did in my spare time, what I would do if I failed to get in to medical school this year, etc.
I did not realize how impressed I would be with GWU! One of the aspects I really liked was their Practice of Medicine course. If you are interested, here is the link that will tell you more about how it is structured: http://www.gwumc.edu/edu/admis/html/academics/pom.html. Another appealing feature was the clinical skills center on the 6th floor of the hospital. They have nice patient examination rooms and a surgical skills room used to simulate the “real world”. There seems to be a noncompetitive atmosphere among students. In fact, several students pointed to the help and support that they received from their classmates. There are numerous opportunities available to explore elements of medicine outside the basic curriculum with their new track program. On top of all of this, there is the cultural diversity in DC not present anywhere else in the country.
All in all, I would love the opportunity to attend GWU medical school. Feel free to PM me if you want more specific information.
Lu

Interviewed at the University of Washington on 11/17.
Started the day with a lunch and some meetings, they were pretty informal. Met some of my fellow applicants, they were all great, some were pretty uptight. I think being an older applicant has helped me in this regard, I think life has taught me to be a little more patient and calm. Maybe its just me though.
I had one forty minute interview with two interviewers. One was on the admissions committee and the other was a local doc. They asked very little about me, only why medicine after spending a number of years involved in basketall on some level (I ran a mentorship program involving basketball, coached, etc). A few basic questions, where I see myself in 15 yrs, fav book, things I do for fun, etc. Then I had two questions geared towards healthcare and two tough ethics questions. The basis for the ethics questions were not difficult, but the fact that the interviewer changed the scenario based on how I responded made it difficult. Overall I felt good, I was committed to being myself and believe I accomplished that. Whether they liked me or not we will see. It was a good experience overall, my first interview. I have two more coming up at Loma Linda and Mayo.
Any questions about the University of Washington let me know and I will see if I can help.

Just got an interview at University of Cincinnati. It’s scheduled for Jan 5&6. It’s the only school I’ve applied to so we’ll see what happens. It’s so late in the process there will probably have to be a lot of people decide not to attend UC for me to get a spot. I’m still pretty stoked though. Please send all your spare good vibes my way.

Damon -
Jan 5/6 is definitely NOT too late. Don’t forget that most schools will not be holding any interviews during the winter break (2 - 3 weeks). Last year, I interviewed at Cinci the week before Thanksgiving, WSU right before Christmas break, MUO and NEOUCOM in January, and Ohio State the end of February. I was accepted immediately to Cinci, MUO and NEOUCOM, waitlisted at WSU but accepted two weeks later, and waitlisted at OSU. I got accepted at OSU just a couple days after the May 15th deadline for people to be give up all but one acceptance.
Yes, it’s a little late in the process, but you still have a much better shot than someone who interviews at the end of February. Cinci also likes non-traditionals. Plus, you have the advantage of being in-state, and having a relative work for the university certainly can’t hurt! At least you won’t be on pins and needles too long. Cinci lets you know in about two weeks on their status page.
Good luck!! I’m happy that you got the interview!

Thanks for the positive words Amy. It’s good to hear. I’m crossing everything that can be crossed for luck

Poster: leia23
Subject: Re: Interview Thread for 2005/06 Applicants
I interviewed at USUHS in Washington D.C. on 10/20. It was an awesome experience. Everyone was really friendly (one of the ladies in the admission’s office kept telling us jokes and about the latest episodes of her favorite tv shows–it was really funny). In the morning, we heard briefings from people who either worked at the school, or had gone there. That part was a bit intimidating. They made it sound like you were giving up your life to go to med school. But then we went on a tour of the campus with a student and got the real scoop. All the students seemed happy and relaxed. There was a real sense of community, which I really liked. I had two interviews, one with a 4th year student and the other with a Capt. in the Navy. The first one was like a conversation between friends, very laid back. I mostly got asked, why medicine and why military medicine. They definately wanted you to know what you were getting yourself into. The second interview was a little more serious, but I was prepared for all the crazy, “What if you were deployed…” questions. My favorite part was when I was leaving and the Navy Capt. says, “Now you go out there and tell your fiance that you’ve decided to go Navy.” That was pretty funny.
Overall, it was a really good experience and I’d love to go there. They told us 6-8 weeks before we’d hear, so I’m not expecting anything for a while. Now if only I could move the school to Colorado so I wouldn’t be separated from my fiance, it would be absolutely perfect.

Hello. I was just wondering if you are/were ever in the military or affiliated with anyone in the military? If yes, how was that a factor in your USUHS interview?
Thanks.
Catherine

Catherine, I know I have seen it written that prior service makes you eligible for USUHS consideration at an older age than would be true otherwise. It used to be that you needed to be 30 or less to be eligible for USUHS but that age cut-off was 35 if you had prior service. I knew someone who did this - she’d been an airman, went to college on the GI Bill, went to USUHS several years ago and I’ve lost touch with her. She’d be a PGY-3 at this point, I think that’s an O-3? Anyway, that’s pretty much everything I know but I throw it out there FWIW.
Mary

The age requirements for the military have changed in the last year but I will explain what I know. These rules were the same for USUHS and HPSP. For prior service officers, you received a year-for-year waiver above the minimal age requirements. For example, I was 31 when I started med school (clearly above the then requirement of thirty), but I had 5 years prior service as an officer, which made my “age” 26. This is how there are officers in their fourties that go through USUHS. However, this past year, given the problem of officer retention (not only in the medical corps but in the military as a whole), the Army changed their rules for the minimal age to become an officer. I belive it is 42 now, but don’t swear me to it. The idea was to allow more non-commissioned officers (NCOs) to transition to the officer corps, but it is not limited to this population. I do not know for certain that it applies to the medical corps, but I would think it would since the military makes more lenient waivers for its docs.
Hope this helps,
Tara