Intrduction

Hi all,
I stumbled onto this site last night and I’m thrilled to know that I’m not alone in pursuing what many would consider to be a crazy career change.
I’m 39 years old and I am a trial lawyer in Chicago. Through my practice I have had a terriffic opportunity to learn narrow pockets of medicine from some wonderful experts in their field. I have discussed meningitis with the head of infectious diseases from Children’s Hospital in Chicago; I have deposed the director of Neuroradiology at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia relating to the interpretation of a child’s brain MRI; I have learned the dos and don’ts of the CABG procedure from Cardio-thoracic surgeons; and I have learned about the diagnosis of abdominal aortic aneurysms from some of the preeminent Emergency Physicians and Vascular Surgeons in the country. Through these and other cases in my 13 years of practice, I have come to the epiphany that the thing I enjoy most is the medicine rather than the law.
About 10 years ago, when I was a a brand new lawyer, I had a fleeting thought about trying to pick up my science courses, with an eye towards Med School. I didn’t know about the Post-Bac route - so I (briefly) looked into picking up the science courses. I discussed my thoughts with my father (Thomas Jefferson Medical College, 1971) and he only said that if it was something I really wanted to accomplish that there would probably be a place for me in medical school. But I was a new lawyer and I couldn’t imagine trying to impress my employer and finding time to attend classes and study.
Well, I am now 10 years older and I still need my sciences. I have also met and married a wonderful woman and we have a beautiful 7 year old daughter. My wife is supportive - but says “do you realize that you’ll be 50 years old before you’re out of residency.” However, I am excited about “going for it” biggrin.gif and my wife is recognizing the importance of this to me. I have applied to Loyola Chicago’s Post Bac Pre Med program.
It will take considerable time and effort and support from my family. I haven’t talked to my father about this yet. He went to med school when he was 29 (which was ancient back then). Even though I know that he was a non-traditional when they were exceedingly rare - I still have this concern that he’ll give me numerous, well-reasoned, thoughts about the lunacy of this pursuit. I don’t feel like I’m tilting at windmills - but I don’t want somebody telling me that they think I am… at least not just yet.
I feel a tremendous amount of support from reading the postings on this site. Best of luck to all of you as you reach for your dreams.
Terry

Hey Terry, and welcome. You have joined the ranks and multitudes of those who are, through the careful elimination of all other vocations, now sure of their true destiny. We are a people who have made darn sure that this is what we want to do by our delay! I am fairly new here myself but concur with your impression and satisfaction with the opportunity to identify with others of my relative age and stature. I look forward to seeing you around and hearing of your progress.
William

Hi, Terry, I'm 39 also. We're not the oldest premeds on this site by a long shot, something I found very encouraging.
I'm going the science pre-req route, which should allow me to keep my job until I matriculate. Perhaps some long day during residency, we'll celebrate our 50th birthdays together.

Terry,
Welcome! If you know medicine is what you want to do then go for it! I have had a nursing career for nearly 16 years. It is difficult to leave a career you are established in and start over as a newbie. But hey who said it would be easy financially or otherwise. As a pediatric nurse practitioner, my physician colleagues are some of my biggest supporters. Enjoy the journey!
Shirl smile.gif