Intro and 3 more premed classes dilemma

Hello Everyone,

I’d like to introduce myself here and ask a (rather complicated) question. I have a Bachelor’s and Master’s degree in English (2009). I was premed in college and did all my requirements except a year of general chemistry and half a year of physics. I took my MCATs before graduating from college and did just about average.

It has been four years since that time and after doing a number of other things, I’ve finally decided to apply to medical school. However, here’s what I have yet to do:

1. Take the three science premed requirements

2. Retake the MCATs

3. Volunteer/work in clinical settings.

I would like to take my MCATs next year either in April or August. But here are my doubts:

4. Is it possible for me to take these three classes next semester as a non-degree student? If so, can I get loans to cover my costs?

5. It has been about 5 years since I was in touch with Science. Can I reasonably take my MCATs next year and expect to remember the science content? I will, of course, review as much as I can in the year to come.

6. Is it possible to work full time and take two science classes per semester? I am willing to do evening classes or classes during the day, but was concerned that employers will not be receptive to the latter. Is this true? The reason I have to work is that I have to support myself and pay my undergrad/grad loans back. How have you handled this kind of situation where you need to work but also want to take your premed requirements outside of a post bacc program?

Thanks so much and I am sorry for the long and complicated questions. I am glad to have found this forum and I wish all of you good luck!

Hi there,

I am by no means an expert on this subject, since I am just getting ready to apply this June. However, here’s my response to your questions:

1. You can definitely take these classes as a non-degree student. Whether or not you will be able to get loans I don’t know. If you live near a community or state college that is reputable for chemistry and physics courses, the financial burden isn’t so bad.

2. I personally would suggest either taking an MCAT prep course or investing in lots of books as well as the AAMC practice exams (AKA old MCATs). Since I went back to school full-time and I’m broke, Kaplan let me pay only half of the $1899 tuition. In my case, I paid about the same as I would have investing in the old exams AND books. And it’s been a great review. That’s just my opinion, though.

3. When I returned to school, I didn’t have a bachelor’s degree. I chose to attend community college full-time while working full-time. This is not something I would suggest to parents or anyone who truly values free time, but I dedicated myself to studying literally non-stop. That said, if you can find classes that don’t interfere with your work schedule (especially on weekends), or you have a flexible employer, it shouldn’t be a problem. However, you probably won’t have much of a social life, unless you’re naturally far more gifted than most of us :slight_smile:

On a side note, my grandfather had a masters in English from Columbia when he decided to go into medicine. He applied on a lark (albeit years ago) and graduated from Georgetown.

Good luck!!!