Intro...Woo-Hoo! Bring it On...I think =)

What’s up people?! I’m just intro-ing myself quickly b4 I delve into the forum. I’m 25 and I graduated w/a degree in Just. Systems about 3 yrs ago. I just realized that I want to be a doctor…not a “regular” doc, I want to be a forensic pathologist. In school, I interned with a coroner’s office, and fell in love with it then. I ignored it, though, because I didn’t want to put in the work. I was TIRED (with an extra huge T) of school. I’ve been struggling with what I want to do with my life for the last few years, and for some reason, CSI came on and it popped into my head…you know that’s what you want to do, so just do it!

So…here I am! I am worried though. I’ve been on my own for the last year, and I would hate to move back in or have to depend on my parents again (I got that sweet, sweet taste of freedom!) And my job is super stable, and it pays the bills and I like my coworkers…that makes it hard to leave it. So, I’m here to do research and get my life together, so to speak. I’d have to take some pre-req’s before I even get to the MCAT, so I have a lot of work to do.

Anyways, everyone’s got a story Let me get back to my research. I’m so glad I found this though. This site is awesome!

Welcome,

Have a look a Richards rules… you are tired of school now huh? Just wait… I had to “start over” (as MOST (successful) people do)… I just think in terms of I am 7 years in on a eight year deal…

How bad do you wanna do this? You know Forensic Anthropology (Like Dr Bass’s “body farm” at the University of Tennessee) is a PhD and not an MD or DO… with considerably LESS SCHOOL.

A Forensic Pathologist has the operative word of “pathologist”… meaning you must get to be a Pathologist first… certainly one of the MOST competitive residencies of all…

NOT to discourage you… that is NOT what we are about here at OPM… but instead are “realistic appraisers”

BUT like everyone else… one must prepare to go “by the numbers”, with proper encouragement… and GO FOR IT!

Richard

• Richard B Said:
A Forensic Pathologist has the operative word of "pathologist"... meaning you must get to be a Pathologist first... certainly one of the MOST competitive residencies of all...

Not to split hairs or be argumentative, but unless things have MASSIVELY changed since I was a med student, pathology is NOT, in any way form or fashion, competitive to match into. In fact, it was one of the least competitive specialites.

Agreed, Dave. Pathology is not all that competitive. According to NRMP, there were 0.6 US applicants per pathology spot, ranking behind Plastics, Derm, Ortho, Otolarynology, Rad-Onc, Radiology, Surgery, EM, OB/GYN, Anesthesiology, IM/Peds, and Peds. It’s about equal in competitiveness with Psychiatry, Neurology, and Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, and ranks ahead of IM and Family Medicine ( http://www.nrmp.org/data/chartingoutcomes 2007.pdf .

I’ve talked quite a bit to some pathologists - they recently reduced most path residencies to 4 years from 5 years, but they all say that it’s virtually impossible to get a job without doing a fellowship, so it’s still pretty much five years.

I based it solely on our “neck of the woods”… often different than a lot of places…

It is here… they have had excess applications for residency for a long time…

Richard