Introducing myself

Hi everyone!

My name is Sandy, and I am an “old premed”. I’m 26, and am almost done with my BS in Psychology. However, at this late stage in the game, I’ve decided to try and realize my childhood dream of becoming a physician. I have two very young children, and our family is complete, so I feel that it’s now or never.

Anyway, I hope to learn a lot from all of you! Thanks for having me!

Sandy,

You are definitely a “young premed.” I am 30 and will be (hopefully - someone knock on wood please) matriculating next fall at 31. I finished my BS in December 1999 (graduated on my 21st birthday actually), finished my MBA in May of 2003, had a pretty successful career that made my decision hard, but am glad to be going back now and couldn’t be happier. It is tough to think about financially from time to time b/c of the lifestyle I’ve gotten used to, but I’m tired of dreading going to my job everyday! No kids for me yet, but my wife assures me that’s coming in the near future. Good luck to you and I’m sure you’ll do fine (and congrats on figuring out you want to go so “early”). Also, my wife plans on going back to vet school once I get done with my residency when she’ll be 38 or so - looks like you’ll be well ahead of her.

Dan

Got you both beat - applying at 40, hope to matriculate at 41!

Sandy, hello fellow 26 yr old! Welcome to opm and glad you are finally going through with your decision to pursue medicine.

You’ll find tons of great advise and great stories here! Keep us all posted!

You are quiet young, compared with 55, my age.

Just do well on the MCATS.

Luke