Introduction: MS-I at Colorado

Hi everyone
After posting here for a while, I’m ready to introduce myself! In 3 weeks I’ll be starting med school at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center in Denver.
I’m 42 (significant other, no kids), and I’m really excited to finally have the opportunity to go to med school, after thinking about it for 20 years. I’ve worked in science research, in education, in nonprofits, and have run my own business.
The last few months have been wild. I fixed up my house, sold it, went to Europe for 2 weeks to visit relatives, moved, and then my grandfather died. Spent 3 weeks on a river trip in the Grand Canyon, which was fantastic. Came back, found an apartment in Denver, bought a car. Went to visit my family one last time before school started; my father died five days after I arrived, and the funeral was last week. I am glad to have a few weeks left to settle down before school starts.
I have had many doubts about my decision to go to med school. The last few months have been filled with thoughts of “Why did I think this was a good idea?” as I contemplated the imminent destruction of my social life and savings account, and realized how little time I would get to spend with my family. Sitting in the hospital with my father for two days put everything into perspective; I found myself thinking, “when I am a doctor, I will do this” and seeing myself in the place of his doctors.
I’m nervous about being the oldest student in my class and not fitting in; I find myself dreading orientation and the inevitable team-building exercises. It’s good to read others’ stories of success as older med students; wish me luck!

Congratulations and best of luck as MS-1! Many of us here are awaiting until they own that title.
Being in the hospital with a loved one really does put a lot of things into perspective. The more you internalize and realize its potential, the better you are at perceiving the reality of it all.
Be well and please continue to post! Don’t worry too much about the orientation and team-building activities. Take this as an opportunity to contribute what YOU can.

Meowmix,
You will do fine!! I love your screen name BTW.
Kathy

Quote:

I’m 42…I’m nervous about being the oldest student in my class and not fitting in

Welcome meowmix – Them’s fightin’ words on this forum ! You’ll get a lot of encouragement from the other members – of all ages. Why, I’m a tender 31 and qualify as one of the “young’uns” here.
-Sara

Good luck w/ school, I’m sure you will do well!
I’m sorry about your recent losses of family members…
Good luck
Ann

Meowmix,
Sorry to hear of the loss of your grandfather and father. Congratulations on starting med school at University of Colorado! Keep us posted. I hope to start med school at 42 as well.
Shirl

You are probably in the thick of things now. I hope it is going well. Did you turn out to be the oldest one in your class as expected? I started at 45 and was surprised to find myself as only the second oldest. I never have felt like I fit in to the class as a whole, but there was a small contingent of us “olde phartes” that became my society. I suspect you will find the same there. Good luck and keep us posted.
Steve MS-4 UNECOM

I am the oldest in the class, though there are plenty of over-30s to keep me company, and many people with spouses and/or kids.
I read something last week on the stresses associated with being an “other” in med school, whether another culture, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, whatever. I do think that age differences create similar stresses; one really never fits in, and I feel old every day, like I never did before.
I’m really glad that I chose to stay close to my community of friends outside med school; without them, life would be much more lonely.

Quote:

I am the oldest in the class, though there are plenty of over-30s to keep me company, and many people with spouses and/or kids.
I read something last week on the stresses associated with being an “other” in med school, whether another culture, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, whatever. I do think that age differences create similar stresses; one really never fits in, and I feel old every day, like I never did before.
I’m really glad that I chose to stay close to my community of friends outside med school; without them, life would be much more lonely.

Hi there,
The differences between you and your more traditional classmates will blur as you move on in the process. First year is very much like a continuation of undergraduate but as you get to the clinical stuff, you all will tend to have the same problems and needs that are common to physicians in training.
As the third oldest in my class, (I was 47 at the time), I found few differences other than I had no interest in “bar-hopping” or “clubbin” on Saturday nights. Now that I am a resident, I find those things pretty neat. My traditional classmates had more angst when then did poorly on an exam whereas I did damage control and aced the next one. In short, I tended to adapt and “go with the flow”.
My study partner for most of first and second year was one of the BS-MD students who began medical school at age 19. He struggled with all sorts of “life issues” which I had largely solved. In the end, we headed for drastically difference residencies (I am totally a surgeon and he is totally an internist). He tended to tie his performance in medical school with his worthiness as a human being and I didn’t. (Age does have its benefits). I never lacked for friends or study companions and most of the time, I stayed away from school for peace and quiet.
Even now, I feel younger than my fellow residents who could easily be my children. I tend to be something of a “rabble-rousing rebel” too. My SO has been very patient with me and is still waiting for me to grow up. I guess I never will.
Natalie