Introduction

Howdy all! My name is Jim and I am 41 years old. I am married with a twelve year old boy and six year old girl. We live in a small town in SW MO.

I have just graduated from a small community college with AA degrees in History and General Studies. I am now a pre-med student attending Missouri State University.

My major is Cell and Molecular Biology. MSU has an awesome program and has a ton of courses which will both satisfy my degree and make the first two years of medical school a little less stressfull.

As of today, my end goal is to be a trauma surgeon, but we’ll see. Due to my age, this might be unrealistic since I’d have to do five years as a general surgery resident and then two more years as a trauma surgeon resident/fellow.

I don’t know how much time I will have to post, but I’m glad I found ya’ll and look forward to participating with and learning from those here.

Jim

Hi - My name is Neil and I am from Phoenix. I just found this site and forum yesterday. From what I have seen so far in terms of the depth, breadth and generosity of those on the forums, I am impressed and encouraged.

I am 37, married with a 6 year old boy and a just 3 year old girl.

My professional background has been Software Engineering for the past 7 years since graduating with a BS in CompSci. So I am now trying to learn what are the science gaps I have to make up (I know there is Biology and “O Chem”) before even thinking about applying to the medical schools. I think I am solid in the math (up to Calc 3) and with two semesters of University Physics. I know that I need to speak with an advisor to get all the details.

The next big worry I have is to really make this happen, with family, financial and probable re-location to consider. I read Richards non-trad “rules” on another thread, which was a big inspiration.

About three years ago was when I first heard this nagging voice that I was really made to be a doctor. I duck taped the voice then, but it didn’t stay quiet for long…

I look forward to learning, and hopefully sharing more with the group soon.

Neil

Welcome, Jim and Neil . I think you’ll find both similar and dissimilar perspectives on these boards, and hopefully through them all, some inspiration and support.

Jimbo - sounds like you’ve got a great program there. Is there any coursework in particular that you’re enjoying more than the rest?

Neil - you’ll want to check with some of the colleges to which you plan to apply. Many times, they have limits on the oldest coursework they’ll accept, usually around 5 or so years. From what I can tell, they tend to be more lenient with physics/math than the Biology-related courses, so you may be OK.

We’ve all got worries about the process, and a lot of them are reflected in the posts already here. Check 'em out, or feel free to start your own :).

First of all, congratulations to you both on continuing your educational endeavors! I am really happy to hear from two new members and wish you both the best of success as you traverse the murky waters of premed and the exciting journey through med school.

Jimbo – just which little town in southwest Missouri are you from? I ask only because I grew up in Joplin and Neosho and have some really fond memories of those days! Is Missouri State University the olde (note spelling!) Missouri Southern. I know they became part of the university system. As to your age, hey! You’re still a young’un. You have lots of time!

Neil – let me echo what Adam said about checking with any schools you might even contemplate applying to in the future as to whether or not they will accept older classes. You would hate to get to the application point and discover that they did not accept a class because it was a class you completed at an earlier time. As to the finances, family, relocation, etc., I think that the family is the biggest issue. It is really necessary that they support you 100% in order to make the journey a little easier. Finances are always on a person’s mind, but if you want it bad enough and have the support of family and friends, you will survive the extremely tight budget of medical school. Relocation. . . well, it can be difficult to uproot everything and move, but there again, if you have your family’s support, it will be much easier. And, no matter where you should end up attending med school, it is only for a few years.

Anyway, best of luck to you both. . . and welcome again to OPM!!

Linda

Jimbo,

So pleased the “rules” were of use…

Have you ever considered a move a little to the WEST…? Establishing your residency and do your undergrad work at one of the ECONOMICAL Kansas schools (less than what I paid for community college on the east coast).

In this place (Kansas), I happen to know for a FACT you CAN get where you want to go… I could even give you specifics if you were to end up in Lawrence, from personal experience, I can VERIFY, they DIG older students.

You know also that Kansas has the KMS grant program (FREE medical education and $2000/mo to live on) for medical school (automatic acceptance)… I will finish medical school with about $20,000 of leftover undergraduate debt and that is it for the WHOLE thing.

Yours always,

Richard

Jimbo - sounds like you’ve got a great program there. Is there any coursework in particular that you’re enjoying more than the rest?

Since it’s at the beginning of the semester, pretty much all of the classes are still in “review” mode. For instance, in my Human Biology Class, we’re still going over things I’ve already learned from my General Biology classes (scientific method, taxonomy, cell structure, etc), but this class seems like it will be the most interested over the long run.

First of all, congratulations to you both on continuing your educational endeavors! I am really happy to hear from two new members and wish you both the best of success as you traverse the murky waters of premed and the exciting journey through med school.

Jimbo – just which little town in southwest Missouri are you from? I ask only because I grew up in Joplin and Neosho and have some really fond memories of those days! Is Missouri State University the olde (note spelling!) Missouri Southern. I know they became part of the university system. As to your age, hey! You’re still a young’un. You have lots of time!

Linda, thank you for the welcome. I live just south of Cassville, on a small farm about three miles from Roaring River.

If you’re from the Joplin-Neosho area then you must’ve heard of Crowder College. That’s where I received my AA degrees. We lived in Joplin from 1998 - 2000 but then moved to Cassville.

Missouri State University is the old SMS in Springfield. Missouri Southern is still Missouri Southern but instead of Missouri Southern State College, it is now Missouri Southern State University.

I’m always happy to hear that I’m still young. My six and twelve year old children seem to think I rank somewhere between Moses and dirt.

Richard,

While I enjoyed reading your rules also, it was Neil who commented on them.

As for moving to Kansas, I don’t think that’s an option for me right now. I’m hoping and praying that when the time comes the University of Missouri will accept me in their medical program. My wife is a BSN in the ICU of a rehabilitation center owned by the University of Missouri. One of the employee benefits is that her family members get 50% off of tuition and book prices at the U of M. If I can get in, then my medical school costs will cost around the same price as my undergraduate costs.

Hi - My name is Neil and I am from Phoenix. I just found this site and forum yesterday. From what I have seen so far in terms of the depth, breadth and generosity of those on the forums, I am impressed and encouraged.

I am 37, married with a 6 year old boy and a just 3 year old girl.

My professional background has been Software Engineering for the past 7 years since graduating with a BS in CompSci. So I am now trying to learn what are the science gaps I have to make up (I know there is Biology and “O Chem”) before even thinking about applying to the medical schools. I think I am solid in the math (up to Calc 3) and with two semesters of University Physics. I know that I need to speak with an advisor to get all the details.

The next big worry I have is to really make this happen, with family, financial and probable re-location to consider. I read Richards non-trad “rules” on another thread, which was a big inspiration.

About three years ago was when I first heard this nagging voice that I was really made to be a doctor. I duck taped the voice then, but it didn’t stay quiet for long…

I look forward to learning, and hopefully sharing more with the group soon.

Neil

Hi Neil! I’m a newbie also! Nice to meet you. Phoenix eh? When I was in the Army I spent three years in Sierra Vista (Cochise County), Az. If I remember correctly, that’s about three hours southeast of Phoenix.

I was in telecommunications before deciding to try my hand at getting into medical school. I’m kind’ve in the same boat as you are when it comes to the age of your classes. My Math, Chemistry, and Physics classes were completed anywhere between 10-15 years ago. While my community college accepted them for my AA degrees, I have already been informed that they will not fly with medical schools. I’m having to pretty much start all over, beginning with College Algebra and Gen Chem.

I gotta run. It’s time to take the kids to marital arts class. I’m sure we’ll talk again. Good Luck!

Jimbo -

Best of luck to you as well. I am going to talk to a counselor about the prospects of transferring my old college science and math course. Those at the school at the front desks of the departments are rolling their eyes when they learn these go back 7-10 years… I might end up having to retake alot, meaning med school would be at least two years away…we’ll see.

Neil

Adam - Thanks for the advice. I am certainly going to be taking it up.

All at OPM -

Based on your experience, can you suggest the best, or most efficient, way to learn this information from the schools?

Do I need to start with phone calls to advisement, or do emails give the same results (trying to avoid the long distance calls).

Or maybe information on school’s policies for transferring courses would typically be found on the school websites?

Any tips would be appreciated?

Thanks again.

Neil

Richard -

Thanks for sharing the opportunities at Kansas.

I’m going to try to learn more about the KMS program.

Neil

Richard -

With a Google search, I could not find any links to more information about the KMS grant program.

I did find the Kansas Medical Society. Is that the KMS you mentioned.

If you know of a URL could you please send it?

Thanks

Neil