Introduction

Hello all

Just wanted to introduce myself and say that I am thankful for this site.

35 years old working on my pre-reqs. My undergrad is in Information Systems and last year I finished my masters in Management Information Systems only to realize that I did not really wish to progress further in my current field. Medicine has been something I have wanted to pursue for awhile now and after much thought I decided to go for it. So last year I started my journey into medicine.

Just started my second year of taking pre-reqs. This semester I’m taking Physics II and Organic Chemistry I…going to be a tough semester but I will make it! In the spring I should finish up the last required pre-requisite Organic Chem II and start prepping for the MCAT. Also over the past year I have been able to shadow some doctors (orthopedics, gastroenterology, hospitalist/hospice) and recently I’ve started volunteering for hospice. These opportunities have confirmed my decision and strengthened my interest in medicine. I cannot believe I have made it this far already. A lot accomplished in one year!

Currently I work full-time as an applications programmer for a health insurance company. I have been very fortunate that they have a great tuition reimbursement program that pays for my pre-reqs. Also they have been letting me take a day class in addition to a night one each semester and letting me work my schedule around my classes. They have been so supportive and I would not be as far as I am in this process without the support of my department at work. However, I still question myself sometimes and when I have these moments of doubt I find myself coming to this site for inspiration. I want to say thank you to all who post about their journey!

Welcome! It sounds like you’re well on your way.