Introductions and a few questions

Hi
I am new to the site, but my story seems much like everyone else’s…
I just finished my masters degree in clinical neuropsychology last May and have been working as a Psychometrician (administers, scores and (learning to) interpret assessments that aid in the diagnosis of brain dysfunction) and as a research coordinator in the Neurology department of a local hospital.
I have decided that I would rather be an MD than a PhD, so here I am. I am taking premed prereqs now, and will be finished at the end of the summer.
I was planning on applying to schools next fall (2006), but I am getting a bit nervous. After already going through a rigorous admissions process for graduate school, I know how difficult it is to get a place at a school.
Does anyone know if you can apply early admissions if you take the MCAT in August? I know most apps are due by the first, but I was hoping they would take the MCAT score when it came in?
Has anyone visited medical schools and spoke with admissions advisors or faculty? I have heard of schools (mostly DO programs) who will look at your stuff and let you know where you stand compared to other candidates. Anyone have any luck with that?
Any advice on showcasing the highlights of your application (ie what stands out about you) or making sure that you get through the initial GPA/MCAT sort?
How important are publications on the application? I have heard that many schools are beginning to favor research and pubs for candidates now and I was wondering if anyone has found this to be true?

Thanks!
adk

I visited a DO school and they were pretty cagey about the actual requirements, of course, all of us students were peppering them with specific questions. Maybe they were just tired.

I can only give a succinct answer to one of your questions, but hope others will chime in as needed:
I don’t think there’s any way logistically to apply Early Decision and take the August MCAT. Here’s why: August MCAT scores come out in early October. But ED candidates generally are interviewed during late August and into September - anywhere from a week to a month before interviews start for regular decision candidates. There is a date by which ED offers must be made - I am not sure, but I think it might be September 15. The AAMC website might have this information (www.aamc.org).
If you search for the term “early decision” you’ll find a lot of good discussion about the pros and cons on this.
Good luck!
Mary

Quote:

I don’t think there’s any way logistically to apply Early Decision and take the August MCAT. Here’s why: August MCAT scores come out in early October. But ED candidates generally are interviewed during late August and into September - anywhere from a week to a month before interviews start for regular decision candidates. There is a date by which ED offers must be made - I am not sure, but I think it might be September 15. The AAMC website might have this information (www.aamc.org).
Mary

Appplicants are required to have their AMCAS application in by Aug. 1 if they are applying early decision and they have to already have taken the MCAT. Med schools are required to notify applicants by Oct. 1st of their early decision.
So, if you apply EDP, it is possible that you won’t know the decision until 10/1 (although I think most schools try to make the decision sooner than that). If you are not accepted, it isn’t until after that notifcation date (whatever it may be until 10/1) that you can then send your application out to other schools. This would be on the late side.
Unless there is some very compelling reason to apply early decision, I think it’s better to apply early in the process to all the schools in which you are interested.
Cheers,
Judy

I thought that the ED wouldn’t work, but I did want to show interest in Case Western over other programs.
I am stuck trying to apply ASAP (AU 2006) (as advised by my two mentors), rather that waiting until the spring. This puts additional presssure on me because I am aware of the rolling admissions process.
I am afraid I am shooting myself in the foot by applying with a fall MCAT when the selection is harder. I was hoping that my publication record, the graduate degree, and my experience with patients would put me at an advantage. I have no basis for this, though. I don’t know anyone who has gone through this process or anyone who is on an admissions committee who could look through my vita and give me an honest opinion.
The application process is very expensive to be doing multiple times, so am hoping to get some feedback before I make the final decision to make the application next fall.

First of all, applying in the fall does not put you very far behind. You can send out applications that are complete in every way except for the MCAT score. The non-screening schools will send you secondaries without the MCAT. Based on the experience of an OPM from my “class,” I am convinced that at least some schools look at some applications even before the MCAT comes in - maybe they sort them into piles like, “Invite if MCAT is OK,” or “Not interested no matter what the MCAT,” I don’t know. This is totally speculation on my part. But the OPM I knew got an interview invite within a few days of his August MCAT scores being sent out, and I have to think that his folder must have been near the top of a pile labelled, "As soon as MCAT arrives, invite!"
Seriously, aside from all the hypotheticals, the August MCAT is NOT that big a deal. You can easily be interviewing in November - December with August MCAT scores and that is not late. You will need to get your applications in early so that there’s nothing else left hanging, but lots of people have done this. If you are on the interview trail before Christmas of 2006, you really are NOT at a disadvantage. Even with rolling admissions, schools haven’t filled their classes at that date and you will have lots of good opportunities especially if your application has so many strong attractive features.
Next, with all due respect to your mentors, I challenge the advice that you should “apply ASAP.” Anything that puts pressure on your application process needs to be looked at with a jaundiced eye. You either need to figure out how to still make it a really strong application so that there is NOT “added pressure,” or wait until spring 2007 so that your approach to this is methodical and carefully laid out. This is not the place for pressure. I haven’t discerned any reasons for rushing based on what you’ve said so far.
By the same token I haven’t discerned any reason why you shouldn’t be ready to apply in the summer of 2006, taking the August MCAT. Get rid of the idea that the August MCAT is akin to failure. If it were impossible to get into med school with an August MCAT, they wouldn’t bother to give it. (and if you’ve heard there’s a “harder curve” for the August MCAT, ignore that too - it isn’t true) There are LOTS of folks who get in with August MCAT scores and you can be one of them.
Good luck!
Mary