Is 36 too old??

I am very encouraged by this thread because I am 45 and have been wanting to go to med school for a long time. Here’s my original post on my background.

http://www.oldpremeds.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?t…

I have to complete my pre-reqs before I can apply to med school so I am looking at the 2012/2013 year before I can even begin med school. I am also conflicted between the CC and Univ option for the pre-reqs. With the cc, you get more one on one with the professor; on the other hand, med schools prefer the universities.

Any ideas on how to speed this up? I don’t want to rush it or risk bad grades, I am just looking in to all of the options that are out there. Thanks!

No speeding allowed! The only thing I would suggest if you want to come off more strongly is to start already looking at the verbal section of the MCAT. Do as much of the verbal practice assignments that you are able under testing conditions (i.e. timed). But for the rest, you are just going to have to take it a step at a time. Believe me, I’m going through the same thoughts as I am 44 now.

If you have the university option, I would recommend it over attending a CC. If the classes are larger, just make time to meet with the professor during office hours on a regular basis. I did, and it payed off by giving me a better understanding of the material (and as the professor gets to know you, they become a potential letter of recommendation writer).

There’s a fair amount of overlap in gen chem, bio and physics so it doesn’t hurt to take them together. The labs can be somewhat time-intensive, so I wouldn’t recommend more than 3 lab courses a semester.

It’s truly a balancing act… good luck with whatever you go with!

• Mtnbiker Said:
If you have the university option, I would recommend it over attending a CC. If the classes are larger, just make time to meet with the professor during office hours on a regular basis. I did, and it payed off by giving me a better understanding of the material (and as the professor gets to know you, they become a potential letter of recommendation writer).

There's a fair amount of overlap in gen chem, bio and physics so it doesn't hurt to take them together. The labs can be somewhat time-intensive, so I wouldn't recommend more than 3 lab courses a semester.

It's truly a balancing act... good luck with whatever you go with!

True, but since you have to still go for the 4 semesters for the chemistry sequence. So you might aw well just take two classes a semester and do well in both of them, than taking 3 classes one semester and risk lowering grades. Because as you said, the labs which are associated with all of the prereqs definitely increase the workload during the semester. That would be adding like 9 more credits (if each 3-hr lab would be considered a 3 credit course).

Plus if you can not only do well in these classes but really work to understand the important concepts, it will help a long way towards the MCAT.

As for the ole 4-yr uni vs. a cc, I think that it could be highly dependent on the college system itself. I know that if I had decided to go for any science major in a 4-yr school, I would have to take all the prereqs before I would be able to get into one of those majors at my four-yr.

I, however, recently found out that the community college I attended all along will now be a four-year school and will be changing it's name...so hopefully, that might actually work in my favor.

Thanks for your quick feedback! I haven’t taken a math class in years. I have always aced my algebra classes but it has been a long time. Would anybody recommend a math class along with the pre-reqs?

• Jerilyn Said:
Thanks for your quick feedback! I haven't taken a math class in years. I have always aced my algebra classes but it has been a long time. Would anybody recommend a math class along with the pre-reqs?

Jerilyn, I would suggest you check the prereqs for physics (algebra-based, not calculus-based). You still might need to take a trignometry and precalculus algebra course...I know that was a requirement for my physics call. If you did well on the algebra classes, you should be fine with this.

Thanks Krisss17. I will start working on the verbal stuff you suggested. I just ordered the Official Guide to the MCAT Exam from AMCAS. I should get it next Wednesday. We are leaving for Oregon next Thursday for our family vacation for 2 weeks and I will have a lot of time to read (as this is a family road trip.) I have appointments with admissions counselors next week at ASU and MWU here in Arizona so I will see how that goes. Thanks to everyone here for the great info!