Is 45 too old to start?

I just turned 45 and finally have an opportunity to pursue a career in medicine. I have previously worked in investment banking, practiced law for 10 years and have been teaching for the last 7+ years. I need an honest opinion(s) as to whether this goal is even viable given my ‘advanced age’. The hours, cost and prospect of moving elsewhere to obtain this goal are not issues. I would appreciate any comments, insight and/or opinions.

Thank you in advance.

• MARCOLIN Said:
I just turned 45 and finally have an opportunity to pursue a career in medicine. I have previously worked in investment banking, practiced law for 10 years and have been teaching for the last 7+ years. I need an honest opinion(s) as to whether this goal is even viable given my 'advanced age'. The hours, cost and prospect of moving elsewhere to obtain this goal are not issues. I would appreciate any comments, insight and/or opinions.

Thank you in advance.

45 is not too old, as long as you have the desire and willingness to commit to it then you should be fine. The only other concern would be to choose the specialty that you believe is best for you. Something that you believe you're physically able to do at the age you plan on practicing.

I recently attended a presentation of world renowned brain surgeon Dr. Alfredo Quinones-Hinojosa from Johns Hopkins University Medical School. He mentioned that when he was attending Harvard Medical School, he had a classmate who was 49 years old who completed her med school program by age 54 and he found her story to be a true inspiration.

The important thing he mentioned was that it is never too late to pursue a career in medicine. Even if it is short lived because 15 years of practice is enough time to make a difference in the lives of many people you help make better.

Read the following link:

http://www.oldpremeds.org/fusionbb/showpost.php?po…

• CliffPreMD Said:
  • MARCOLIN Said:
I just turned 45 and finally have an opportunity to pursue a career in medicine. I have previously worked in investment banking, practiced law for 10 years and have been teaching for the last 7+ years. I need an honest opinion(s) as to whether this goal is even viable given my 'advanced age'. The hours, cost and prospect of moving elsewhere to obtain this goal are not issues. I would appreciate any comments, insight and/or opinions.

Thank you in advance.

45 is not too old, as long as you have the desire and willingness to commit to it then you should be fine. The only other concern would be to choose the specialty that you believe is best for you. Something that you believe you're physically able to do at the age you plan on practicing.

I recently attended a presentation of world renowned brain surgeon Dr. Alfredo Quinones-Hinojosa from Johns Hopkins University Medical School. He mentioned that when he was attending Harvard Medical School, he had a classmate who was 49 years old who completed her med school program by age 54 and he found her story to be a true inspiration.

The important thing he mentioned was that it is never too late to pursue a career in medicine. Even if it is short lived because 15 years of practice is enough time to make a difference in the lives of many people you help make better.

OldPreMeds have had several members not finishing medical school until into there 50's.

No 45 is not too old to start. Like CliffMD, I, too, recently attended a premed/pre-public health conference where I had the chance to listen to Dr. Quinones-Hinojosa, former Surgeon General Richard Carmona, and others talk about their paths to medicine. I had a chance to ask some medical schools about my chances as a oldster and got good feedback. Several medical schools mentioned that they had students in their 50s, and from all walks of life – former dancer, math professor, actor, auto mechanic, etc. I think you will be in good company. The important thing is to decide to start and do your very best to make yourself competitive.

I’m 47 and in last year of pre-reqs having taken the roadS less traveled and certainly, more painful!

One thing that I have noticed between starting at 44, turning 45 mid-first year of pre-reqs, and now?

I’m a little more tired now than I was at 45 but not by much… what I have lost in stamina, however, I have more than made up for in determination to do whatever it takes to get great grades… to show myself (I hope) worthy of acceptance.

Yes do it, and No you are not too “old,” too “late,” nor too “anything” but maybe “too highly qualified!”

I heartily reject notions of chronological “age” when counting from birth year “forward.”

Let’s be enlightened and take cognizance of longevity in years, health and mental/cognitive abilities. Count “down” from the longest years of productive life in your ancestors and blood related family peers.

Celebrate Great Telomeres! If you have long life in your “genes,” then by all means, start out as an MD at any age and love it, go fot it!

So if your family members live long, and/or if you expect to live a long and healthy life, count that number of good years (ahead of you) and subtract from your current age:

Come up with your own algorithm (formula) for your true healthy-life-age. Mine is now 35 and I feel like it, too!

All encouragement to you!

Best from

Dr. Quinn who was a pioneer in her own right!