Is a CNA class worth it?

So, I signed up for the Gen Bio class since it feeds into the higher level courses and sounds like the description posted at the U of M medical school’s website.

My next question is another about volunteering/working. I’m wondering if it’s worth it to take a CNA class ($600 which is usually refunded if you work at a nursing home for at least 3 months)and try to find CNA work or volunteer at a hospital/clinic?

I’m wondering if medical schools will look highly upon CNA work as showing commitment or if I should just volunteer.

Thanks for all of the continuing help.

I would urge you to make this decision, not based on what admissions committees would think, but on what you would enjoy more. If you want to get a sense of the workflow on the hospital floor and spend really intimate time with patients, in many ways more than you will as a doctor, the CNA might be a good way to go.

If you like the duties and flixibilities of the volunteer opportunities available in your area, do that first. YOu can change your midn later if you’d like.

In general, this whole process will go better for you if you start with what you really want to do and consider how it looks afterwards, if at all.

• samenewme Said:
I would urge you to make this decision, not based on what admissions committees would think, but on what you would enjoy more. If you want to get a sense of the workflow on the hospital floor and spend really intimate time with patients, in many ways more than you will as a doctor, the CNA might be a good way to go.

If you like the duties and flixibilities of the volunteer opportunities available in your area, do that first. YOu can change your midn later if you'd like.

In general, this whole process will go better for you if you start with what you really want to do and consider how it looks afterwards, if at all.

The only advantage of being a CNA would be where you are going to take a least a few years to fulfill premed and need a flexible job with patient contact, one that has nights, weekends, and per diem. It would be only marginally better to the adcom than volunteering and would only really fit if the primary focus is earning for school.

Personally I like the idea of “killing 2 birds with one stone”, getting valuable experience in the medical profession (and a challenging field at that), and also making money too!