Is my academic advisor tip correct

Hey Everyone!

I am getting ready to go back to school through a post bacc in SoCal. I am applying to career changer programs on the formal level and am planning to go informal if I do not get accepted. My question is: Am I a complete career changer? I took about 85% of my pre reqs in 2003-5 before I switched to a German major from a UC school. I graduated with a BA in 2007.My science GPA was low so I do agree that retaking the basics would be good, but I dont want to waste time retaking all the classes if I will not be seen as a competitive applicant to med school. My overall GPA was 2.96. I am ready to work hard and just want to know if my recent tip from academic advising from my UC school is accurate,that I would fall under career changer. They seemed unsure and said that I waited so long to go back, so I am a’weird case’ THANKS TO ANYONE THAT HAS A TIP.

Welcome! For the formal post baccs that you’re applying to have you called them to asked if you’d meet the criteria to apply for a career changer program? Some may specifically say that it is NOT for students who have previously taken pre-reqs even if it was several years ago. Also, you can contact the med schools you want to apply to and explain your pre-req strategy for advice. Every school and post-bacc program is different so I think it’s hard to say if your advisor is right or wrong.

• corewr Said:
Welcome! For the formal post baccs that you're applying to have you called them to asked if you'd meet the criteria to apply for a career changer program? Some may specifically say that it is NOT for students who have previously taken pre-reqs even if it was several years ago. Also, you can contact the med schools you want to apply to and explain your pre-req strategy for advice. Every school and post-bacc program is different so I think it's hard to say if your advisor is right or wrong.

Good advice. :-)

Cheers,

Judy