Is the MCAT becoming harder?

I do not have sources to cite, but I am under the impression, from various readings on forums of top students flanking the MCAT, that the test is becoming harder. I know a few folks, bright top A students, who found it very difficult. So are we seeing a trend in which it will be harder to reach to sacrosanct 30 mark?

Impressions of students, particularly those who took it more than once, are welcome.

Not sure if the test is becoming harder, but med schools are becoming more selective. While the average performance of all who took the test continues to languish in the high 20s, the average of accepted applicants is rising, and is now over 30.

I agree with jmdmd - med schools want to see a higher score. I also think, though, that the test is becoming more difficult. There are still those fortunate souls that get the “easier” tests, but more and more often I’m hearing about the nightmare tests. I was unfortunate enough to get one of the nightmare tests. I’m finishing up my undergrad now in biochem, and my GPA is a 3.9, while also working 30 hours a week throughout the process. This test was horrible. I was scoring where I wanted on all the AAMC practice tests, but I will not be at all surprised if my score comes back well below what I was hoping for…WELL below (I get my scores Oct 5). I sort of knew from the beginning that I would have to take the exam twice, just to increase the chances that I would get a manageable test - and that is likely what will happen. I just hope that the second test isn’t another one of the doozies! The take-home message for me from this first attempt was not to believe the AAMC when they say their practice tests are representative of what you will see on test day - that is just not true at all (unless, as I said earlier, you’re one of the lucky few). I suspect the practice tests they put out were used well over 5, even 10 years ago? They are a piece of cake compared to the real thing.

I have taken a loot at stats from the AAMC. The scores did not seem to get lower over the past 5 years The mean and mode are around 25-26. The number of MCAT takes however is increasing at a steady pace. 80,000 for 2009. I don’t have the number for 2010. Generally it seems to increase at a pace between 5000 and 10000 a year.

• redo-it-all Said:
I have taken a loot at stats from the AAMC. The scores did not seem to get lower over the past 5 years The mean and mode are around 25-26. The number of MCAT takes however is increasing at a steady pace. 80,000 for 2009. I don't have the number for 2010. Generally it seems to increase at a pace between 5000 and 10000 a year.

The rise in MCAT takes is probably due to both the increasing pool of applicants, which was at about 32,600 in 2002-2003 to about 42,300 in 2009, and the computerized testing system which now has 22 testing dates versus some 3 major dates in the paper-based version

Short answer, HELL YES!!!

I first took the MCAT in 1991, last took it in 2009, with MULTIPLE tests in between. I have copies of old MCATS from the 90’s that today, I could score 30+ in my sleep.

The test is significantly harder in my opinion, actually I should rephrase that because that’s not necessarily true. The grading/curving they use to determine scores is significantly more stringent!!!

Well

I guess I have to prepare harder then!

Thanks for all the input.

I took the MCAT twice. The first time I sat for it I had never taken a practice test. I did better on the second round after taking a few practice exams. There is a technique to taking the exam. I think timing is key. The more practice taking the test you get, the better you will be, in addition to studying the core content. Some people are just going to test better than others. Practice the test as much as possible. It helped to improve my score.

thx fastmedic and congrats again on your acceptance.