It didn't really feel real ...

Until I saw this:
http://home.attbi.com/~runemaps/ultrasound1.jpg
I’m happy, yet totally freaked out.
- Tae

Tae…
Wonderful! Many, MANY congratulations to you and your wife and best wishes for your growing family.

congrats!
Have you seen the new 4D ultrasound? Man those things are awesome, they use multiple reflection/echo scanning off surface features to digitally reconstruct the face, limbs, trunk.
Its so detailed you can actually use them to distinguish the face of one fetus from another.

QUOTE (MD/PhD slave @ Dec 2 2002, 12:41 PM)
Have you seen the new 4D ultrasound? Man those things are awesome, they use multiple reflection/echo scanning off surface features to digitally reconstruct the face, limbs, trunk.
Its so detailed you can actually use them to distinguish the face of one fetus from another.

I'm willing to bet that our HMO does not cover it. Even if it did, I'm not sure I'd go for it, though the exact reasons why escape me. That 4D imaging *is* pretty awesome, though.
- Tae

It’s gonna be a boy!
I started a name-suggestion poll: POLL

Tae, your son is a cutie pie! He looks like he's taking a nap. Actually, he looks like he's snoring. CONGRATULATIONS to you and your wife. By the way, I vote for Spencer, I mean Parker. I meant Parker, but I wrote Spencer; I wonder why that is. I wasn't able to access the poll, so make a special mental note of my preference(s).

Hey Tae,
Chalk my vote up for Nathan. I also like Andrew too! Mark has always been a favorite name of mine too. Ethan and Reese sound too light-weight.

Natalie
P.S. I had a friend who would not name his son any name that could refer to a penis so Richard, Peter, John and others were not in the running. rolleyes.gif Just some fun here. He ended up naming his son Jason.

QUOTE (sisterjupiter1 @ Dec 24 2002, 03:23 AM)
Tae, your son is a cutie pie! He looks like he's taking a nap. Actually, he looks like he's snoring.

Heh - like father, like son!
Despite the poll numbers, we seem to leaning towards Parker - with Andrew running a close second.
Who knows what he'll end up being named ...
We just want a healthy boy.
- Tae
QUOTE (njbmd @ Dec 24 2002, 05:58 PM)
Hey Tae,
Chalk my vote up for Nathan. I also like Andrew too! Mark has always been a favorite name of mine too. Ethan and Reese sound too light-weight.
Natalie
P.S. I had a friend who would not name his son any name that could refer to a penis so Richard, Peter, John and others were not in the running. rolleyes.gif Just some fun here. He ended up naming his son Jason.

You know - it's funny how names preferences correlate to age.
The SDN crowd seems to favor Ethan quite a bit. I attribute that to the actor Ethan Hawke - whom I liked in Gattacca.
Dawn and I also pre-screened for 'bad nicknames' - Richard was at the top of this list!
When I think of Nathan, I'm reminded of Nathan Detroit from "Guys and Dolls".
"Luck be a lady tooonite ..." laugh.gif
- Tae

Tae,
How ‘bout “Andrew Parker last name” or “Parker Andrew last name”?
I like “Nathan Parker last name” a lot too…sounds distinct and of good character.
When my husband and I were picking out names, we could not agree on names for girls. (He liked “Beatrice”; I liked “Kielty”; he like “Kaitlyn”; I liked “Eden”…you get the idea). I also liked “Summer”, but with a last name of Byrne, we might have had a daughter with the nickname of “Sunburn”! Ouch! cool.gif
Boy’s names we agreed on immediately. We have two sons: Liam Michael Byrne and Levi Daniel Byrne…traditional, but unusual first names, with good ol’ fallback classics as middle names…should they ever want to use them. They are wonderful people to have with us.
My personal criteria was to have names that could not easily be “casualized” ----> therefore no names, like Robert, that can easily be nicknamed (e.g. Rob, Robbie, Bob…). No one has ever shortened either sons’ name to “Lee”.
Definitely no names that could reference anatomy!! :wink:
By whatever name you and your wife choose, may this young boy have the best of health and joy in his life with you! Take good care of each other!

"Nathan, Nathan, Nathan Detroit…
…the oldest, established, permanent, floating, crap game in New Yoooooooork…"
Hmm…come to think of it, that’s not a bad description for a baby, is it? wink.gif
Congratulations!

QUOTE (Mary Bois Byrne @ Dec 24 2002, 11:08 PM)
Tae,
How 'bout "Andrew Parker last name" or "Parker Andrew last name"?
I like "Nathan Parker last name" a lot too....sounds distinct and of good character.

We were heading towards Andrew - then I Googled 'Andrew Kim' and it turns out that that was the name of the first beatified Korean - Saint Andrew Kim.
It also makes it a *very* popular name for people with surname Kim.
Well, we still have a good amount of time to figure it out.
- Tae
QUOTE (samenewme @ Dec 24 2002, 11:25 PM)
"Nathan, Nathan, Nathan Detroit...
....the oldest, established, permanent, floating, crap game in New Yoooooooork..."
Hmm...come to think of it, that's not a bad description for a baby, is it? wink.gif
Congratulations!

Oh, certainly - 'the breakfast-eating, Brooks Brothers type.' tongue.gif
- Tae

New ultrsound @ 18 weeks, due date 06/10/2003:
http://home.attbi.com/~runemaps/Ultrasound2a.jpg
http://home.attbi.com/~runemaps/Ultrasound2b.jpg

QUOTE (taehyongkim @ Jan 13 2003, 01:00 PM)
New ultrsound @ 18 weeks, due date 06/10/2003:
http://home.attbi.com/~runemaps/Ultrasound2a.jpg
http://home.attbi.com/~runemaps/Ultrasound2b.jpg

Hey Tae,
How great to have June 10 as a due date! Another Gemini to add to the world. My sister's birthday is June 10th. She is talented, smart, beautiful and one of the most creative women I know. ( I am not biased either) She is an electrical engineer. Seriously, you are going to have one great year this year with fatherhood and medical school.
Natalie
P.S. Gemini's are known for their ability to communicate. Looks like your son has a head-start in utero. biggrin.gif
QUOTE (njbmd @ Jan 13 2003, 01:36 PM)
QUOTE (taehyongkim @ Jan 13 2003, 01:00 PM)
New ultrsound @ 18 weeks, due date 06/10/2003

Hey Tae,
How great to have June 10 as a due date! Another Gemini to add to the world. My sister's birthday is June 10th. She is talented, smart, beautiful and one of the most creative women I know. ( I am not biased either) She is an electrical engineer. Seriously, you are going to have one great year this year with fatherhood and medical school.
Natalie
P.S. Gemini's are known for their ability to communicate. Looks like your son has a head-start in utero. biggrin.gif

Well, seeing as how my BD is June 6th, I gotta agree with everything you said! wink.gif
I hope our BD's aren't *too* close together. Then again, if they are, I get to wear them birthday hats too!
- Tae

Congrats on everything and thank you for sharing the photos. Wow!
I tried to vote for Andrew but it wouldn’t let me! ohmy.gif

Have to agree about the early June birthday. My brother started the Air Force as an enlisted E-1 and is now a Captain (O-5?) . He’s quite a smart fellow.
Now for names: I really like Parker & Andrew, but…
How about Elijah?
Elijah Kim - sounds almost musical…
But then, I’m partial to the name since it belongs to my 20 month old. Strong name. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Calvin -- in a box by the river @ Jan 13 2003, 05:22 PM)

I tried to vote for Andrew but it wouldn't let me! ohmy.gif

Just a dumb question, but are you a registered user of SDN? I was able to vote once, then it would throw up the poll and state that I had already voted.
- Tae
QUOTE (bzmom4 @ Jan 13 2003, 09:08 PM)
How about Elijah?
Elijah Kim - sounds almost musical....
But then, I'm partial to the name since it belongs to my 20 month old. Strong name. biggrin.gif

I like Elijah quite a bit - especially after enjoying the Lord of the Rings movies with Elijah Wood. But Dawn, my DW, is trying to steer away from names that are too 'ethnic' - whatever that means, and ignoring the fact that Parker seems rather British, as are most of the other choices. blink.gif
It's a balancing act - trying to stay away from popular, overused, too fufu, or weird names, but finding something individual as well. Let's not forget the 'bad nicknames' filter ...
- Tae