It doesn\'t seem real. Am I doing enough so far?

Hi. I’m Jay,

I’m currently working on a DIY post-bac and just recently completed a full year of biology (bio 1 & 2). I have been working full-time as a applications developer for a large corporation in Pittsburgh, where I was hired just after completing my CS master’s program back in 2013. I started work just the Monday after graduation and dove head first into the workforce only, after 2-3 years, to find out that this isn’t what I want. So through many other experiences and attempts at finding a new career path while working, I’ve landed upon medicine for a number of reasons and I’m extremely excited to make this journey.

Here’s my issue: It doesn’t feel real yet and I don’t feel like I’m doing enough.

I’ve always been the type of person that likes to floor the gas pedal once I know my destination. However, I don’t want to do too much and lose control and become distracted. So I started slowly with Bio 1 & 2 at a community college here and I passed both with A’s. That really boosted my confidence and I enjoyed everything about the class. Now, I want to step on the gas and go back to school full-time, start volunteering, shadowing and working in healthcare. But, because of bills, debt, and living expenses (I’ve been consciously working on paying off debt as fast as possible), I don’t feel I can leave my full-time job yet to be a full-time student, but I am 29 and would like to get everything on track as soon as I can. I know that when I get [there], I’ll get there, but I’m starting to feel like work has become a distraction now and it’s starting to reflect in my performance. I think I’m just having a hard to accepting that all I can do is take one or two or three classes a semester and work. I know, at some point I will need to ramp it up, but I am I doing enough now? I don’t want to get ahead of myself, but I don’t want to fall behind in anyway if there’s room to get ahead.

Respectfully,

Jay

How bad do you want it?? Save up some money— live in your car. shower at the gym-- nap in the library etc. YOLO!