Just realized I might not make it to med school!!!

The only part I can comment on is the study abroad part. Usually when you study abroad through your university, you receive credit from your institution rather than the foreign university. I was required to study abroad for a semester at a program run by my school in Spain. However, there is no mention on my transcript of studying abroad - my courses for that semester are recorded as regular Spanish courses from the university. Students who came to our program from another school also used a transcript from my school to receive transfer credit at their home institution. I’m sure there is quite a bit of variance from school to school, though.

• DRFP Said:
But Judy there are Agencies out there who do Credentialing right? Also the poster has a degree from Case Western so I do not see a problem there.

Why would a school in the US not accept a degree undergrad from another country if the University there is Recognized by the US department of Education? I know of more then a few of these Universities, How about the Universities that students go to for study abroad?

I'm just curious to this?

It really doesn't make much difference if there are credentialing agencies. AMCAS doesn't use their information for creating a gpa. And med schools tend to do with AMCAS puts on the application. You can imagine the consistency nightmare if five different agencies did credentialing, each in a slightly different way. AMCAS and the med schools would go crazy trying to compare apples to apples.

Study abroad programs are generally through a US university, so there isn't usually any problems there. And rarely do students do pre-med requirements at a study abroad program.

I don't think that I said that med schools don't accept a foreign degree, just that they may require more work at a US institution.

Cheers,

Judy

Thank you Judy, your wisdom is always welcomed!

As for the OP the degree at Case western may be enough? it was a 4.0 they said.

lol…

No, SDN are not full of idiots per se, more like very young kids who at times (lots and lots of times) may come across like idiots due to their youthful outlook on life.

• MollyBrown Said:
lol...

No, SDN are not full of idiots per se, more like very young kids who at times (lots and lots of times) may come across like idiots due to their youthful outlook on life.

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This

id·i·ot /ˈɪdiət/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[id-ee-uht] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun

1. an utterly foolish or senseless person.

Well, the SDN youngers are characterized by a lack of common sense and foolishness...so uh, isn't that an idiot per the dictionary definition?

Don't get me wrong, there's some great info on SDN....just, well, if someone's looking for it, throw that poor soul a shovel and point them in the right direction.

At one time, I would have agreed with the ‘idiot’ or worse designation. In retrospect, I think that mentality that drives us bonkers is a mixture of immaturity, inexperience, intimidation & fear of the unknown coupled with an underdeveloped skillset to cope with these challenges. Think back to when you were their “age” maturity-wise. I suspect that you probably would have reacted in a similar fashion. I can freely admit, I reacted in a far worse pattern than the typical SDN-gunner/flamer. I chose to redirect my shortcomings internally and became a party animal in order to self-treat the pain it caused. Because of that, I damned near eliminated all chances of not only becoming a physician; but also could have ended up hurting myself or someone else thru all of my shenanigans.

They may or may not ever grow up. You may actually be looking at future generations of OPM…after enough years & overcome hurdles that they ‘see the light’.

No particular reason for placing the above smilie other than I thought it was damned cool looking!

I have grown very tired of the attitude that many have in the premed world, many claim money as the motivation and the whole premed thing is just a “check off list” like there is no value to the education and experiences, I guess I’m one of the few ( at least it makes me feel this way) that think that becoming a Physician is an Honor and is a lot more then a way to just make money. I love what I do and would not be happier doing something else.

I have spent a lot of my nonspare time posting in the past but do a lot less now. Just tired and busy.

So please forgive me I guess I have liked to tilt windmills at times and I understand how foolish that can be.

I have gotten some “Fan emails” in the past so I guess the few get what I’m about

This site is IMHO the best premed and Med site out here!

Just keep in mind that these “immature kids” are going to be your future classmates. You are the one who is the fish out of water as an older student, not them. Instead of getting angry or exasperated with them, try to be patient, and be a role model/mentor for your younger colleagues. Like Dave said, it helps to try to remember how you were at that age. You can easily understand what it is like to be their age, but they cannot begin to fathom what it is like to be your age. It is not reasonable for you to expect that of them. Adolescence is a time of angst for most of us; I’m just grateful that I’m not trying to go through medical school while suffering from mine.