Just starting the journey

I am thrilled I have found this site! I have been looking for resources to help me on my journey to medical school and this is by far the number one! Up to now, I felt so lonely and discouraged for not having someone with the same profile (age, non-science background) to share ideas, thoughts, fears etc, etc, etc. I can’t believe that there are so many other people going to medical school at later years. This site is extremely informative and very encouraging.
I am 32 years old and for years, have been postponing the desire of becoming a doctor. When I was in high school (even before then), that’s what I wanted to pursue. However, I did not put the time and effort necessary to pass the university entrance exams. I am originally from Brazil and students go to med school right out of high school. We need to pass a very competitive university entrance exam.
When in high school I simply was not ready to endure the long hours of study, the time commitment to get ready for the exams. My grades in bio were good but math, physics and chemistry were just average. I did not devote the time I should have studying for them. In the end, when time came to take the university entrance exams, I was not ready, nor I had the confidence to do so. I ended up going into Social Work. A good choice considering that the desire to be helpful and serve others was and still is one of my passions. While studying social work I also finished a two-year degree in travel and tourism at another school. I have been out of touch with the sciences for years!
The thought of becoming a doctor came back again and again at many different periods of my life. Always the same excuses: it is too late! I am too old! I decided to go to grad school instead. In 1999 I came to the U.S. to do a Masters in International and Intercultural Management/International Education. I have been living here since then and I am have been working in higher education since 2000 and love it.
What has driven me to consider the idea of becoming a doctor now? Sometimes I can not explain why I still have this desire. It is there and it is still strong. I have been working as an Admissions Counselor at a Community College for the past year and this experience has been eye opening to me.
When I started counseling so many non-traditional students, to start or go back to school, to pursue their dream, to change careers, I realized that I was motivating and encouraging them to do something that I have not been able to do myself. The several people that have passed through my office have been an inspiration to me. They are the ones who have unknowingly motivated me to be more proactive and to explore the career of medicine at this point in life.
I have not decided 100 % if I am really going to apply or not. But I feel so good to be seriously exploring the idea and actually acting on it. I want to stop future frustrations: “I wish I had done.” From now on, whatever happens, it will be a well thought decision.
The first step I took was to take a math class in the fall just to get back to school mode and to the sciences. I took Intermediate Algebra and trigonometry, did very well and enjoyed it a lot. All my math anxiety seems to be gone! This coming semester I want to start taking the pre-requisites. I might start taking physics. I have not been able to find 4-year colleges close enough to my work that are offering bio 1 or chemistry 1 in the spring.
Taking classes at the community college I work for gives me the great benefit of not paying for it and the advantage of taking courses during my lunch hour. However, I am aware that taking my courses at four-year colleges will give me a better chance to be accepted. I am curious to know if there is anyone out there who took the pre-requisites at a CC and was accepted into medical school. Or who maybe took some of the classes at a CC and some at a four-year college. That’s actually what I am planning to do. I don’t want to wait until summer to be able to take classes at a university. So this semester I definitely have to be at the CC.
It has not been an easy task to work 40 plus hours and take classes. But I’ve got do it! I can not afford quitting my job so I have to go slow. Maybe in two years or a little more, I will be able to finish all the requirements.
Sorry this is a bit too long! I found it very helpful to read the stories of other members and I hope someone will benefit from mine as well.
Thanks a lot!
Joia

Welcome to OPM. You are amongst friends here. Ask any question you wish, I am sure that someone has experienced either the same or similar situation.
One piece of advise I can give you is plan on coming to the convention this June, it is an invaluble resource.
Again, welcome

Joia -
Welcome! It sounds like you have a great perspective!
You may encounter a few more technicalities than most of us, having received your undergraduate degrees from a non-American institution. I STRONGLY encourage you to contact a few admissions offices of medical schools that you might be interested in and speak to them about your situation. There are a FEW American medical schools that require an undergraduate degree from an American university. I suspect that most of them will be okay with your Brasilian degrees and American pre-reqs, but you might want to talk to some more knowledgable people about it.
I also suspect that because of the foreign undergrad degree, they may recommend that you take as many classes at a 4 year institution, rather than a community college. Obviously, you have to do what you have to do, and you have excellent reasons for taking the courses at a CC. But, I feel you should contact some admissions folks and see if the CC thing may be more of a last resort for you.
Two years is not an unreasonable length of time to devote to the pre-reqs. It takes most people at least that, due to the chemistry requirements. I’m not surprised that you are finding it difficult to find Bio I, Chem I, etc offered in the spring. A lot of colleges only offer these courses in sequence, starting in the fall. So, when planning your schedule, talk to some people and make sure that you know what courses are offered when. (You probably already knew this from your job)
There are a couple of other people on here with degrees from International institutions. Hopefully, they can comment on their experiences and give some more insight into what you might need to do.
Good luck!
Amy

Thanks a lot! I would love to attend the Conference in June. Unfortunately, I might be sent on an assignment at my job at that time. I will be posting a message later on to check if anyone living in MA will be attending and would like to meet after to share a little about the event.
Thanks for your welcoming words.

Quote:

Thanks a lot! I would love to attend the Conference in June. Unfortunately, I might be sent on an assignment at my job at that time. I will be posting a message later on to check if anyone living in MA will be attending and would like to meet after to share a little about the event.
Thanks for your welcoming words.

Hi there,
Welcome to the group and forums! As stated above, the conference is a good opportunity to crystalize your goals and network. I hope you will be able to make it. It promises to be great this year.
Natalie

Quote:

Joia -
Welcome! It sounds like you have a great perspective!
You may encounter a few more technicalities than most of us, having received your undergraduate degrees from a non-American institution. I STRONGLY encourage you to contact a few admissions offices of medical schools that you might be interested in and speak to them about your situation. There are a FEW American medical schools that require an undergraduate degree from an American university. I suspect that most of them will be okay with your Brasilian degrees and American pre-reqs, but you might want to talk to some more knowledgable people about it.
I also suspect that because of the foreign undergrad degree, they may recommend that you take as many classes at a 4 year institution, rather than a community college. Obviously, you have to do what you have to do, and you have excellent reasons for taking the courses at a CC. But, I feel you should contact some admissions folks and see if the CC thing may be more of a last resort for you.
Two years is not an unreasonable length of time to devote to the pre-reqs. It takes most people at least that, due to the chemistry requirements. I’m not surprised that you are finding it difficult to find Bio I, Chem I, etc offered in the spring. A lot of colleges only offer these courses in sequence, starting in the fall. So, when planning your schedule, talk to some people and make sure that you know what courses are offered when. (You probably already knew this from your job)
There are a couple of other people on here with degrees from International institutions. Hopefully, they can comment on their experiences and give some more insight into what you might need to do.
Good luck!
Amy

Hi Amy!
Thanks a lot for your suggestion. I called four medical schools this past week (will call a few more next week). First, they all said that as long as I take all my pre-requisites at an American College/University, my foreign degree won’t be a hindering factor.
Out of the four, only one said that it is absolutely necessary to take all the courses at a four year institution. The other three said that as long as I am studying at an accredited American school, they would make no distinction.
I am sure if it comes to a situation in which they have to choose between a candidate that took courses at a four year university, and another that took courses at a community college, they might go with the first. However, I think it won’t hurt too much if I take a few courses at the college I work at. That way I can at least get started. I will be taking college physics and college algebra this semester. I love the fact that my physics course has only eight people enrolled. Talk about personal attention!!
Again, thank you so much for your input.
Have a great week!
Joia

Joia
So glad things are going well for you. My philosophy has always been that it’s a good idea to talk to as many admissions people as necessary early in the game and know what you need to do in advance, rather than start out blindly and find out that you wasted time and effort on things that either weren’t necessary or weren’t what you needed.
I’m glad your classes are going well. Small classes are definitely a plus. I was able to take most of my pre-reqs at a branch campus of a larger university. It was great, because the courses (and labs) were all taught by the profs, the class size was small, and the transcript makes no distinction that the classes were taken at a branch, rather than main campus.
Amy

Welcome to OPM! While you may think the journey has taken a long time and it will be a long road through school, trust me, it will pass much quicker than you can imagine. I was were you are just a short time ago (or so it seems), and now I am an MS-2 just months shy of the Step 1. I remember the first convention I attended (in my then home town of Dallas), listening to the guys there who were probably MS-2s or 3s at that time, and even with my nursing career, I was in “awe” of their knowledge. Now I’m there and sometimes it still doesn’t seem real. Good luck in your studies and if you have any questions, you can find lots of good answers here.
Kathy