Kaplan Diagnostic Scoring

I started taking the Kaplan prep course this past week and took my diagnostic test without really any preparation, summer physio class hadn't left time for that, but I did fairly well, enough that I am a bit suspicious. I recognized a lot from physics but just could not remember formulas and things from earlier, but otherwise, the bio, organic, and VR stuff was all pretty okay.
So, I'm wondering if anyone has a good handle on how accurate Kaplan's scoring of the diagnostics tests are as a predictor for the MCAT? This was a half MCAT, minus the writing sample. For anyone that has been through the prep course and taken the MCAT, I'd really love to hear ideas on how close Kaplan comes to the real scoring?
Thanks,
Brendan

QUOTE (bbowman002 @ Jun 20 2003, 06:41 PM)
I started taking the Kaplan prep course this past week and took my diagnostic test without really any preparation, summer physio class hadn't left time for that, but I did fairly well, enough that I am a bit suspicious. I recognized a lot from physics but just could not remember formulas and things from earlier, but otherwise, the bio, organic, and VR stuff was all pretty okay.
So, I'm wondering if anyone has a good handle on how accurate Kaplan's scoring of the diagnostics tests are as a predictor for the MCAT? This was a half MCAT, minus the writing sample. For anyone that has been through the prep course and taken the MCAT, I'd really love to hear ideas on how close Kaplan comes to the real scoring?
Thanks,
Brendan

Hey Brendon,
Do remember that Kaplan is trying to sell you a test-prep course. Use their diagnostics as an indicator of where you might need extra prep but don't try to make any predictions. Do lots of practice and look at your progress.
Natalie smile.gif

I took the entire Kaplan course (and am a big fan). The value of the first diagnostic test to me was not in the raw score but in the sheet that they give you with the bar graphs that list the topics that they tested on that exam and how I did. They also showed how many questions they asked in each of those topic areas. It gave me an idea in a big picture way of the areas I was stronger vs weaker in.
Don't be discouraged by any results of the first diagnostic exam. As you take take additional exams, you will get the pacing down better and as you do more practice questions you will get better with the material that the MCAT looks at.
Good luck!!
Tara

I think the scoring is pretty accurate. If anything, they grade harder than the real MCAT. They want the diagnostics to be low so they can say “See how much you improved due to our course?!”.
I did ok on the 1st diagnostic (around 25 with no prep at all). I worked my butt off in the course - did all the materials in the course, the library, plus AAMC tests. I boosted my score up to a 39 (although my best score on a Kaplan full-length was 34) on the real thing.
I think it’s a good sign. But don’t get complacent. You can do even better!

The diagnostic can't predict your score on the real thing unless you don't study at all - because most people's score increase depends on how hard they work in the meantime. As others have said, the diagnostic can only point out the areas in which you need extra work. (If you're getting a 45 on the diagnostic, then you will probably score well on the real thing!)
The average Kaplan score increase is 6-8 from the diagnostic (quoting from their stats) - but that includes a huge group of people who do few or none of the recommended preview and review assignments, and a large group who start out with a score of 18-24. The people who do a lot of work do considerably better (+11-14).
If you did well on the diagnostic, be pleased, but still work your butt off. A high MCAT score might open all kinds of doors for you.
Do all the AAMC practice items and tests. And don't forget to practice the writing sample regularly, so you get a 42T, not a 42M.