Kaplan free online practice test

Hi all,

I still have a lot of time before I will actually take my MCAT, but I decided to start practicing the verbal section early as a non-native speaker.

I took my GMAT a few years back and I scored quite high- 90th something percentile. I took a few tests focusing on the verbal section and while my score wasn’t stellar, I didn’t do that bad.

Today I took an online MCAT test given by Kaplan and completed only the verbal section.

http://kaplan.base77.com/MCAT/

The test told me that I only got 51% answers right and did not allow me to check which questions I got wrong. In all honestly, I have a hard time believing that I did that bad since I felt relatively confident about most of my answers. I was wondering if any one of you feels like attempting at the exam to give me your feedback.

Thank you in advance.

Hi all,

I still have a lot of time before I will actually take my MCAT, but I decided to start practicing the verbal section early as a non-native speaker.

I took my GMAT a few years back and I scored quite high- 90th something percentile. I took a few tests focusing on the verbal section and while my scores wasn’t stellar, I didn’t do that bad.

Today I took an online MCAT test given by Kaplan and completed only the verbal section.

The test told me that I only got 51% answers right and did not allow me to check which questions I got wrong. In all honestly, I have a hard time believing that I did that bad since I felt relatively confident about most of my answers. I heard that Kaplan uses the diagnostic to scare students into taking their class so that together with my ‘feel’ for the test and the fact that I couldn’t check which questions I got wrong makes me suspicious.

I was wondering if any one of you feels like attempting at the exam to give me your feedback.

Thank you in advance.

The AAMC has a free practice test that you can take if you would like to compare. AAMC MCAT 3. If you sign up for the site you can take it online and it will give you a breakdown.

Thank you!

I took the full Kaplan program for my first MCAT attempt. I can say from experience with their practice exams compared to the real MCAT, Kaplan verbal is useless (just my opinion, but if you look on SDN and other sites, most people agree). The format of their questions is not comparable to what you’ll get on the real MCAT. I actually found Kaplan’s questions to be more difficult than on the real thing. Kaplan goes into all kinds of detail about different question types, mapping passages, etc, but with the timing constraints on the real test, these strategies are just not viable. They also make VR far more complicated than it needs to be. The general consensus is that the VR on AAMC practice tests is the best predictor of your actual score and of the types of passages/questions you will see on the real thing. I got a 10 in VR on my first real MCAT, and that is approx what I was scoring on the AAMC practice tests - I’m currently waiting on my re-take score. AAMC also offers a free practice test on their website - test #3. That will probably give you a better idea of where you stand.

• Agnieszka020 Said:
Hi all,

I took my GMAT a few years back and I scored quite high- 90th something percentile. I took a few tests focusing on the verbal section and while my scores wasn't stellar, I didn't do that bad.

The test told me that I only got 51% answers right and did not allow me to check which questions I got wrong. In all honestly, I have a hard time believing that I did that bad since I felt relatively confident about most of my answers. I heard that Kaplan uses the diagnostic to scare students into taking their class so that together with my 'feel' for the test and the fact that I couldn't check which questions I got wrong makes me suspicious.

I was wondering if any one of you feels like attempting at the exam to give me your feedback.

Thank you in advance.

I can't judge the validity of the Kaplan diagnostic but as someone who coaches/tutors verbal section (I don't tutor anything else, I have seen absolutely brilliant business types, lawyers, and science geeks completely blown away by the verbal. I had someone last year who had done extremely well on GMAT and LSAT and got poor scores on cold verbal tests for kaplan and AAMC. He couldn't possibly believe he did that poorly and took I think 3 or 4 exams before he started to accept the fact he had to prepare for it.

BTW, my rule of thumb that verbal, if you are doing it right, will feel completely unsettling that you are unsure of at least half your answers. If it feel easy and simple and that you nailed it, you most likely missed alot.
  • In reply to:
BTW, my rule of thumb that verbal, if you are doing it right, will feel completely unsettling that you are unsure of at least half your answers. If it feel easy and simple and that you nailed it, you most likely missed alot.

This.

Verbal is one of the worst sections of the MCAT to prepare for. I knid of think doing well on the verbal section is more like an art. I took the Kaplan course and they have a technique for the verbal section that I took with a grain of salt. That being said, don't be surprised if you do poorly on the AAMC version verbal as well. I really think verbal is the only section that you have to learn how to do well on.
  • BaileyPup Said:
I took the Kaplan course and they have a technique for the verbal section that I took with a grain of salt.

Perhaps a grain of salt and two shots of tequila,I am not fond of the kaplan technique for verbals as I think it makes it too complex. verbal in many ways needs gets over thought when taking the exam and needs to have a simplified technique and/or attacked intuitively

merged into duplicate topic on MCAT forum