kinda confused

Hey all

I came for some advice, and I’m not sure what to do. I have a BS in ECE from Rutgers in 2008 (cum GPA 3.3, sigh). Quickly, I realized I didn’t want to be an engineer for the rest of my life, and wanted to shift my career to medicine. I applied to the PSU brandywine postbacc program earlier this year. And then I got laid off.

I’m not sure what to do now. I would like to make my application as strong as possible. I have enough money saved up, and unemployment should keep me going for some time. I’ve been looking for part time work, but nothing has come up. I contacted one of the professors in the program who does biomechanics research at Udel, and he seems willing to take me on, and I have also been looking to volunteer at hospitals, but they have been full up for the summer. What else can I do? I really didn’t want to get laid off (who does?) because I wanted to have on my app that I took the premed courses and work full time.

One other question: I took physics in fall/spring of 2004/2005, and got As in them. Should I take them again, because it’s been a while?

Dang. I get so worried, and I could use some advice. The good news is that I did well in Bio and Chem, so things are looking good, at least coursework-wise.

Thanks for any advice!

Have you considered looking at this as an opportunity to complete a semester or two with a full course load? Med schools would be more interested to see how you handle upper division courses while going to school full time.

As for the Physics, I wouldn’t suggest retaking them - just review the material for the MCAT.

• neem Said:
I really didn't want to get laid off (who does?) because I wanted to have on my app that I took the premed courses and work full time.

I understand the not wanting to get laid off thing ... I got laid off in March 2009 (haven't been able to find work since -- and I've been looking).

However, as the previous poster said, you can look at it as an opportunity (I certainly have). Anyway, I don't think it would matter at all to med schools if you were both working and taking classes. And in fact, there is a good chance you will do BETTER in your classes if you are NOT working (more time to study). So take advantage of this time to focus on your studies, take more classes, and prep for school. That's my opinion, at least. Best wishes!