Knowing When to Give Up

Hey! I’ve been trying to live by the Old Premed mottos. I put blinders on and run my own race. I keep move forward no matter what. No plan B! My question is do you ever get to a point when enough is enough?

After over a decade, I finally went back to college. I’ve gotten 13 A’s out of 16 classes over the past 4 semesters. If I keep doing as well as I have been, as calculated by my school, I could graduate with a 3.8 GPA. However, when my grades are calculated on Mappd, due to some retakes, my cumulative GPA is under a 2.28 and my science GPA is 1.99. I only need 34 credits to graduate, but the projection calculator says I need 130 credits to reach a 3.0. I don’t know if a postbac will even help at this point. My original plan was to get a MS, but I’m hearing a lot of reasons that won’t work.

Here’s the damage:
When I was a teenager, I started off well with a semester on the Dean’s list. After some family and financial issues, I had a few semesters where I either withdrew from all of my classes or it was too late, so I failed them all. I tried to go back to school a few years later, but was unable to manage it because I had to work several jobs to stay afloat. I’m finally in a position where I have a good job that allows me to work from home and stability enough to focus on school. I’m afraid that it’s far too late. The damage is done and may be irrevocable.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

1 Like

Look into med schools that consider the last 30-60 hours of your coursework.

Do more research on reddit/google.

3 Likes

Thank you so much!!!