Left Great Job for Pre-Med

Hello Everyone,

I literally just told my manager that I’m leaving my job to pursue medicine. I’m freaking out! I know it’s the right choice but I am so nervous! I have the deadly four pre-reqs left, physics I & II, organic chemistry I & II which I will be taking over 2 semesters. My husband and I are in a good financial position but I’m just anxious about performing well, getting into medical school, succeeding in medical school etc. I could use some replies from people who did the same thing and how you talked yourselves through this process.

Thanks!

Me! I left a pretty good sales career behind along with all the perks that came with it. In our case, we weren’t in a good financial position though, after being used to a double income. Plus we owned a house in CA that was purchased at the height of the market. We ended up giving our house back to the bank to avoid foreclosure and never looked back. I now have 1 year of pre-reqs done (gen chem and a bunch of bio), and will be splitting my o-chem and physics classes into 2 more years since the CA university system is so screwed up right now. I can’t do both together anymore because of scheduling conflicts due to cuts/class closures.

Best of luck to you! I’m sure there must be others that also left good careers/jobs behind as well. I’m looking forward to reading some inspiring replies!

I left…stay at home momness and homeschooling…yeah, not so scarey for me lol. O.k. yes it was, I NEVER used a babysitter before that point in life.

I didn’t leave a job to go pre-med, but I did make the decision to stop being a stay-at-home mom to two very young children in order to pursue the pre-med route full-time.

In some ways, it was a very hard decision (they’d never been in anyone else’s care except mine and DH’s, would it all be for naught, etc.) but in other ways it seemed like it was the only option for me. I knew that if I didn’t give it a try, I’d go crazy with the “what ifs”. I also could not see myself doing the same thing that I have been for the past three years - staying home and taking care of kids - any longer. I had to move forward, onward with my career goals.

I expect you’re feeling much the same ambivalence; that feeling of being pulled in two very different directions. I think that’s completely normal - and it’s also very exciting, when you think about it! Too many people, in my opinion, spend time trapped in an unhappy situation and feel like they don’t have a way out. Yay for us for taking that first step!

I am starting classes this fall full time after 9+ years as an engineer.

I decided against working and doing classes part or working part time. Others have certainly been successful at that, but I didn’t think I could be fully committed to both. It was not an easy decision. I considered it for 2-3 years before taking the plunge.

It is certainly a financial adjustment and that cannot be completely dismissed. I’m sure there have been other threads about the financial issues.

I was able to convince myself that the process is a little like starting your own business. A lot of hard work with no definite payoff at the end. However much like any other endeavor, the amount of passion you have for something is definitely correlated to your chances of success. I think they say 90% of small businesses fail in the first 3 years or something to that effect. Just looking at the percentages your chances of be accepted to medical school are a lot better than 10%.

And heck yea I’m nervous too, but that is more than countered by the excitement for the opportunity. I don’t think there is anything wrong with leaving a “great” job for a chance at a “really great” job. Perhaps I’m not the best with adjectives; feel free to insert your own.

Good luck.

I am leaving an 8 year stint as director of a biotech manucaturing company - to tackle four semesters of pre-req’s. This forum has proved to be very reassuring that I am not the only one going back to school at this age!

I am excited beyond belief, but very nervous at the same time. I have wanted to go down this path for almost 15 years, but was not in the “right place” until now to make the committment. Classes start Aug. 24th for me. Good luck to you!

Man that sounds familiar!

May I ask about college financing? My understanding is any type of bad credit for five years prior can pretty much tank the Federal PLUS loans. The 40k subsidized and unsubsidized doesn’t seem like enough money for most schools.

Any tips?

Good luck to you, regardless.

• Rotane Said:
Man that sounds familiar!

May I ask about college financing? My understanding is any type of bad credit for five years prior can pretty much tank the Federal PLUS loans. The 40k subsidized and unsubsidized doesn't seem like enough money for most schools.

Any tips?

Good luck to you, regardless.

Read this:

http://www.oldpremeds.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?t...