Letter of Petition

So I’ve decided to go the second bachelor’s route and take classes but not complete the degree. However, in order to get in, I need to write a letter of petition.

Have any of you written a letter of petition before? If so, what is it?

I’ve tried calling UIC and asking them, but they didn’t really give me a satisfactory answer. I guess I’m mainly struggling with how to explain why I’m choosing medicine after graduating with a philosophy degree and barely being out of school for a year.

If anyone would like to read it possibly, that’d be nice, but I would certainly understand if that is too much to ask.

I have a ug application for UIC on my desk right now- do you mean a personal statement?

For second bachelor’s degree students, they want a letter of petition stating the reasons that a student wants a second bachelor’s degree. I’m not sure if it’s interchangeable with a personal statement

• sadako12 Said:
For second bachelor's degree students, they want a letter of petition stating the reasons that a student wants a second bachelor's degree. I'm not sure if it's interchangeable with a personal statement

A letter of petition is separate from a PS but typically it is not a big deal. I am assuming UIC has a policy in their bulletin that states something along the lines if a student must petition the dean if he/she wants to purse a second bachelors.

For your letter simply state that after sometime of personal reflection that you have decided to to pursue medicine. Since you have little or no science background and since UIC offers such courses, you want to take them. Additionally, you feel strongly that in order to best prepared for medicine, that pursuing a full second degree in a biological or life science major would be the best path. I respectfully petition the dean of admissions (check in bulletin who you should be petitioning).

It doesnt need to be more than a short paragraph.

Don't sweat it
  • gonnif Said:

For your letter simply state that after sometime of personal reflection that you have decided to to pursue medicine. Since you have little or no science background and since UIC offers such courses, you want to take them. Additionally, you feel strongly that in order to best prepared for medicine, that pursuing a full second degree in a biological or life science major would be the best path. I respectfully petition the dean of admissions (check in bulletin who you should be petitioning).

Don't sweat it

So I shouldn't explain to them where the interest came from or anything?
  • sadako12 Said:
  • gonnif Said:

Don't sweat it

So I shouldn't explain to them where the interest came from or anything?

I dont think it is necessary. While the policy exists to petition, my perception it is more a formality for the undergraduate schools.