Letter of Recommendation Categorization

Hi everyone,

I am accumulating LORs and realized that one of my professors who taught an upper-div neuroscience course is listed as a professor under the department of psychology and the graduate neuroscience program. I am worried that his LOR will not count as a “science” LOR. I already have one professor that is a dedicated science professor, but I planned on having at least two science LORs. I am not sure what to do. It is a bit late to ask for another LOR from a different professor, but I could try and ask. Please let me know if you have any idea on what AMCAS will categorize it as.

1 Like

Just make sure your letter provider adds the context at which your relationship exists. “So and so was working with me during my neuroscience course and … yada yada…” There are lots of professors in the the US that teach various classes and various schools categorize their teachers differently. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but I think they care more about the context of the relationship than what department the school decided put the professor in.

1 Like

Some schools are specific about which disciplines count as a “science” instructor, but others don’t. I would check with the schools you are applying to and explain your situation. However, I believe @Tybera is correct in that medical schools care more about the relationship and quality of letters than the specific department.