Life's complications ...

I have posted recently in my diary about a major physics exam I have today, which has me in a ball of nerves. Physics is my most challenging subject, and the exam is worth 20% of my grade, which obviously makes it a big deal.

But the physics exam was hugely overshadowed yesterday morning: my husband got laid off from his job.

This clearly complicates our financial situation, as we are currently living off of his salary plus my student loan money. He got a severance package, but it will not last long … which means he needs to find a job, and quickly. But that’s by no means guaranteed in this economy.

I’m frustrated, sad, and a bit scared right now. There are so many aspects to this, beyond the salary (i.e., health insurance).

Anyway, just thought I’d share what’s going on.

And needless to say, this is making it difficult to stay focused for today’s exam, which isn’t helping either. sigh

Oh, Lorien… I am so very sorry! My heart just sank when I read this post. I have been so inspired by your story, and I know that this is just a bump in the road that you will absolutely overcome–but right now, it must feel like a mountain.

First thing’s first… get through that Physics exam, breathe, and take it one day at a time. Focus on what you can control, right? My thoughts are with you guys…

• carrieliz Said:
Oh, Lorien... I am so very sorry! My heart just sank when I read this post. I have been so inspired by your story, and I know that this is just a bump in the road that you will absolutely overcome--but right now, it must feel like a mountain.

First thing's first... get through that Physics exam, breathe, and take it one day at a time. Focus on what you can control, right? My thoughts are with you guys...

As above rule one: take a breath! And don't let FUD (fear uncertainty and doubt) take hold and control your decision process. If nothing else, you need to get to the end of this semester with GPA intact....
  • terra_incognita Said:
... which means he needs to find a job, and quickly. But that's by no means guaranteed in this economy.

Lorien,

I'm so sorry to hear of this new turn of events. Losing your source of income is indeed a major source of stress and worry, but nothing in life IS guaranteed except change, right?

I came across a quote by Charles Spurgeon last week that rings true to me when all of my own "FUD" demons come at me: "Anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strength." Breathe. Take the challenges that come one day at a time, and don't borrow from tomorrow.

Best of luck!

Annette

I’m sorry to hear of these developments too. Somehow you’ll make it through - you may not figure that out today or tomorrow, but you’ll eventually be able to come up with a plan. But Richard is absolutely right in that you should do your best to get through this semester with GPA intact. I can identify with your situation somewhat. I was lucky enough this semester to be randomly assigned an enrollment date on the very second day of the 3-week enrollment period. I got signed up for Gen Chem I and two other online classes. That was a stroke of luck, esp considering the issues people have finding classes here in CA. Last week my boss told me to take a 6-month assignment on the road or risk getting laid off, so I’ll have to drop the class to keep my job. And I’ll be taking a W on the transcript. It all sucks and I’m going to be another semester behind schedule, but I’ll figure it out. And so will you.

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the encouragement.

And as gonnif said, it is important for me to not let FUD gain a hold, and to keep my GPA intact. I’m doing my best on both fronts.

Two side notes: the physics exam today was incredibly difficult, so I’m not sure how that went. But I just got back a bio exam from last week, and I got a 97%! (The class average being about a 65%, which on my professor’s curve is a C.) So at least there’s one thing to smile about today.

Thanks again, to all who have posted on this thread. I really see OPM as my “community,” and very much appreciate all of your thoughts and concern.

Sorry to hear the rough news. Hang in there!

Hi terra

well it is sad news. My dad (who has never had a regular job in his life) always said “money problems are the easier to solve. It’s not like somebody will cut my head off because I can’t pay!”.

In any event, good luck to you.

Hey Lorien-I know you and your husband’s pain. I got laid off right after signing a contract on a condo back in september. Just keep focused on the “must do” things. Registering for unemployment. Illinois online system is pretty quick. Also- if you are costco members (membership is only $40), there is an aetna medical insurance plan available to members that is pretty reasonable (way cheaper than COBRA coverage). Past that, he just needs to focus on getting his name and resume out there. Staffing agencies in Chicago are awesome. What does your husband do? I may have some people I can recommend. As for you, just keep swimming! Keep up with the studies and focus on what you can control, not on what you can’t.

Great job in the Bio exam!!!

Sorry to hear about your husband and I wish you both the best. Times are tough right now and I’ve had close relatives and friends lose their jobs within the last year as well. Many others have taken pay cuts. I hope you are able to continue excelling in school during this bump in the road.

As for Physics, I picked up two books to help supplement my course textbook: Schaum’s Outlines of College Physics and 3,000 Solved Problems in Physics (also by Schaum’s). I have found both helpful plus they provide extra practice. Also, I’ll occasionally review topics at KhanAcademy.org. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the physics tips!

Lorien,

I am so sorry about your husband’s recent layoff. I have also had to face similar unexpected challenges since my last post in the fall. My husband became unemployed after I voluntarily separated from my company to pursue the last of my pre-reqs and study for the MCAT. Needless to say, we have had to make some adjustments, and it’s looking like I will have to delay my medical school applications yet again, possibly for a year or two. But, I’m trying to stay encouraged, keep my head up, and take it one day at a time. You do the same. Good luck to you!

Dear Lorien,

I haven’t much to say that hasn’t been said by the people here already. I’m thinking of you and wishing you the best.

I have a Tennyson quote posted on my wall for when I start to lose it:

“I must lose myself in action lest I wither in despair.”

Keep up with what you’ve been doing. Like your work in Bio! Awesome!!

m

Hang in there Lorien!! Everything has a way of working out.