Long Hours for Volunteer Research Position

I wanted to get some research experience before applying to medical school so I cold emailed some researchers around nyc and met with members of a lab from NYU. They said that in order to make a meaningful contribution in 6 months, I would need to commit to at least 6 hours for 5 days a week. She let me know that previous students who volunteered did so for 8, 9 even 10 hours a day and sometimes even on the weekend. This is a huge commitment for me seeing as how I would like to do a diy postbac and have a part time job. What should I do? How have your research experiences worked out for you?

Prioritize. I noticed that you said you would like to have, but did not necessarily need, a part-time job. If that’s the case, I say nix the job idea for now, focus on completing your required courses, and THEN do the volunteer gig. It may take more time, but at least your grades will be solid–provided that focusing on your courses alone instead of working as well would be an option for you.

Additionally, not to sound cynical but I think the NYU researchers are seizing on your desire (perhaps even desperation?) to craft an impressive medical school application; and therefore, may very well be embellishing or exaggerating regarding former volunteers. Just be careful and don’t let them take advantage of your volunteer status, as there have been instances in which volunteers have been overworked, of course unpaid, and working outside of their scope of practice.

If they want that much time commitment for a volunteer then they are totally taking advantage of you! I would run from a professor saying that! I volunteer in a lab and am getting first author on my paper, my abstract was just sent for publication. I do all the experiments for my assigned project on my own and I schedule my own hours. I have a key to the lab so I can do the experiments when I have the time.

I suggest looking for a research professor that is more welcoming to premeds and doesn’t take advantage. Find a lab that is open to “paying it forward” or helping premeds rather than putting them in difficult situations for a volunteer position.

Thanks for your advice. I finally sent an email saying that I would not be able to commit to such long hours.I hope I can find a professor who is willing to be more flexible.

I respectfully disagree. 30 hours a week over a six-month period is about right for what it would take to make a real contribution in my lab. If you were planning to stay a whole year for sure, that’s another matter, but still. nontradpremed is correct about getting the lab key and doing the exp’t as schedule allows, but still, the hours have got to come from somewhere.

• EthelR Said:
I respectfully disagree. 30 hours a week *over a six-month period* is about right for what it would take to make a real contribution in my lab. If you were planning to stay a whole year for sure, that's another matter, but still. nontradpremed is correct about getting the lab key and doing the exp't as schedule allows, but still, the hours have got to come from somewhere.

This is absolutely correct. Profs don't have a long term "stake" in a short term volunteer and given the time they'll take out of their schedule to train a student, it's understood that large investments of time will be required.

IHMO, students should only get involved in research if they have an honest interest in doing it, not to "pad" you application to med school as this can backfire if you don't know your research well.

I would agree if the student was not in a full-science load, however I still disagree that a student should volunteer 6 hours for five days every week, it’s way too much for a full-time science student. I can understand a long term commitment but it shouldn’t be more than 20 hrs per week unless the science load isn’t that bad.