Looking for Opinions/Guidance

Hello everyone!

It’s been quite a while since I’ve been here on a regular basis! I’m glad the conference was a great success! Good job!

I’m writing to ask your opinions/guidance about my journey thus far.

In short, I feel I can’t take any more classes until next summer or fall at the earliest. I’ve only taken Chem 1 and 2 so far. Therefore, I still need to take Orgo, Physics, Bio and I wanted to take Biochem and Immuno again.

I say that I “can’t” because of my workload on my job. The next 10 months is going to be intense (we’re installing a new hospital HIS, EMR, etc.). My brain is now full with learning tech stuff and hospital workflow/processes - you get the picture.

Needless to say I became pretty discouraged at the realization of the work effort required to get this thing in. So, I’m working through my discouragement and would like to know what you would suggest I do over the next several months until I get back to school.

I have MCAT books and Audio Osmosis. If I schedule myself I figured I could at least go over what I’ve re-learned in chem. What do you think.

You do know your schedule and limits better than any of us, so in the end, you’ll have to do what you feel is best.

Having worked through installation and training of EMR systems, I can appreciate how stressful it can be - my best analogy is of trying to change the engine in a truck going 50mph down the highway ;). That said, if you can squeeze in just one course a semester (and still understand it and do well!), I’d recommend shooting for that. I think the sense of progress will be beneficial.

I don’t know how much the Audio Osmosis will help prior to having taken the coursework. I think that if I had listened to it prior to classroom exposure to the concepts, it may have frustrated me.

Either way, let us know how it goes, and good luck with it!

I would advise you to step back from your day to day job and think about your long term priorities. Are the next ten months going to help or hurt your ultimate career? Are you going to be able to review and retain important concepts from Chemistry a year from now?

Medicine is a huge undertaking that will consume you entirely. Preparing for it will require the utmost dedication and perseverance. You will have to ask yourself at some point whether you are willing to postpone your own career goals in favor of your employer’s priorities.

Some people will reluctantly quit their jobs or at least downsize their roles, while others will continue to pursue previous professional goals while planning their ultimate career change meticulously. As another poster says, only you can answer these questions. Best of luck,

In your shoes, I probably would avoid school like the plague until you are up to speed on the EMR. We merely upgraded to a new version on ours and it nearly set everyone’s head on fire (mostly because it crashed frequently for a couple of weeks).

The Audio Osmosis CDs are good, but like Pi said, some of the material (O-chem & electrochem for me) sounds completely foreign until you have had a thorough treatment in class. Otherwise, they are a great time-killer in the car. :wink:

Tim

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I am in a training class now, and some smoldering is taking place (besides blank stares and other signs of training fatigue…). I figured I’d try to listen to AudioOS because I’ve had those classes before - but, I’m not interested in aggravating my senses any further and will heed your careful warning!