LOR issue..

I wrote this to a schools admissions committee:
To Whom It May Concern:

I received a supplementary application packet from your school and I
have a question about the letters of recommendation.

I have 2 science professors that will be sending LOR's directly. Is it
acceptable to submit, in lieu of a 3rd professor's letter, a letter from
my current employer?

I pose this question for it has been over 6 years since I received my
bachelor's degree. Most of my time since then has been spent in
valuable work experience. I feel my employer could provide a clearer
insight into my personality and work ethic.

Thank you for the application. I am very honored and excited about the
opportunity to learn more about your school.

This was the response:
While it is certainly acceptable for your employer to write a letter of
recommendation on your behalf, employer letters do not replace the
required academic letters. You should attempt to find a third person who taught you coursework to send a letter.
If this is absolutely impossible, please inform us and we will consider
your application with the letters that are sent on your behalf. You should
be aware that most applicants are able to submit three academic letters,
and some committee members may question why other applicants who have also been out of school for some time are able to meet the requirements.
The committee would certainly take into consideration that applicants
who have been out of school for some time may only be able to find
recommenders who cannot give an in-depth letter but can only give information about how you performed in their class.
Please feel free to contact me if you have other questions.

Well I do see the point of the adcoms, that is why for those that have been out of school for some time they encourage to take some science classes…this would then be a good time to get some LOR's. They seem to be saying that if you are not able to meet the 3 letter requirement that they will still consider your application so what is the problem?

The problem is the subterfuge.
"We will consider it, but other people in your situation are able to, so why can’t you?"
Most schools are 2 letters, soo… I am trying to hunt down a third person. If this wasn’t my 2nd choice I would just give them what I got like it or not.
Do you think a calculus teacher would count? I am guessing they would, but the person was a grad student. So who knows.
Hoops and more hoops kids!
DRD

Unless they specify that you may ONLY submit three letters, I would recommend that you do your best to get the three academic letters, AND send the LOR from the employer as well. Note that they seem to expect that the academic LORs of people who’ve been out of school for awhile may be of uneven quality. You want good letters in your file so if the third academic one is going to be, let’s say, “ordinary,” a strong employer LOR could be very helpful.
Yup, it’s a lot of hoops. Your attitude sounds about right - resigned annoyance is what I pick up between your lines. As I’m fond of saying, it’s their ball, their game, their rules. Even when it’s infuriating, there’s not much point in getting bent outta shape about it. cool.gif

Like Mary said let the games begin, bring it on BABY!! Good luck to you on getting your LOR.