LORs,

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum but I am so happy to read about others going through some of the same things as I am. This is a little late in the stage, but I have a question. Do you need to have all of your letters of recommendation submitted to AMCAS prior to submitting your AMCAS application?

I am a little confused on when these get submitted as it seems like they are part of the secondary app but are a part of the primary AMCAS app.

Thanks for any input you might have.

The AMCAS takes care of delivering the LOR’s to the schools you want them to go to. But you can add more letters and schools as the process goes on. I submitted my primary in June, but have added other letters that I got over the summer. The school gets them when you submit them to the AMCAS.

You do not need to have all LOR’s into AMCAS before you submit it. If your school sends a committee letter then you may have no control over when the letter is sent to AMCAS. If you do have control, it is recommended to have your letters in before or within a couple weeks of submitting your AMCAS so that schools can download them and complete your file (after you submit the secondary).

Additionally, you may find that a school requires a letter that you didn’t get, so you have to get it and then send it in later. It’s all part of the game. Basically, if you don’t have all your letters in, you can’t be complete at any schools.