Low GPA

Hey Everyone!
I’m new to this site and am so glad that I’ve come across it. Got a few questions. I am 27 years old and I REALLY hate my job. I’ve always wanted to go to medical school, but never really thought that I could get accepted. I’ve thought about going back to college to take the pre-requisites, but I’m afraid that I’d be wasting my time. I wasn’t really focused during my undergraduate years, and did not graduate with “honors”, to say the least. I keep trying to forget the whole med school thing, but it keeps coming back to “haunt” me. I keep wondering if I should go back or not. My husband and I just had a baby 7 months ago, and I’m thinking I should wait a few more years before I even consider it. Do med schools only look at the GPA compiled by AAMC? Unfortunatly, I did take some of the pre-reqs while I was an undergrad, and I totally blew them off. Should I go back and take these classes and hope that the AdCom will see that I am now focused and serious? Help. Any suggestions welcome.
New and frustrated mom,
Sandy

Without knowing your GPA, it’s hard to give anything less than very generic advice. But here goes…
If the prereq grades are less than A’s & B’s, and mostly A’s, you’ll probably want to retake them. ALL your grades will be averaged into the application GPA, with a a second GPA based on your prereq courses. You’ll have an overall GPA and a SCI GPA.
If you are comfortable with taking your time (good!) then I would recommend starting with 1 or 2 classes and see how it goes. as many of our members will point out, the path to becoming a doctor is a marathon, not a sprint. So don’t be worried about starting out slowly.
If it helps at all, I started my prereqs when my daughter was a year old, got sidetracked by twins and job relo’s, and now 8 years later, going to med school in the Fall!
If you give us more specifics or have other questions I’m sure we can point you in some useful directions.

hi Sandy and everyone,

although I’m a moderator I am not going to try and figure out how to move a thread (duh) but instead would like to request that people please look for this thread under “pre-med introductions” and do NOT reply here. The FAQ section is intended as a resource list of broad topics rather than a discussion of specific personal questions.

So please go to this thread and give Sandy your thoughts, okay?