low mcat score

Hi all! I’ve been lurking for a while but deicded to post. I got my mcat scores back but unfortunately did not do that great (21). My volunteer work is great, I have a 3.3 overall gpa (my science gpa is about a 3.6, my overall gpa was diluted by some business classes). My question, should I bother applying now? (perhaps to some DO schools or schools with alower requirements) or should I wait to apply after I retake the mcat (and hopefull higher scores after I apply myself to some intense studying. Thanks for your responces, I’m not sure what to do.
Paul g.

Not being real experienced - take my comments with a grain of salt…
I’d spend a year maybe taking a few more courses and getting A’s while busting my BUM to get the test score up. I don’t know much about DO vs. MD but without a kick arse GPA or MCAT I’d be wanting to shore up both.

A 21 is really pretty low–probably below the cutoffs for many schools. What to do now depends on how confident you are in your ability to raise that score. Can you pinpoint the reason your score was low? Were you extra-tired, ill, did you really not study enough? Do you have a clear plan for how you’ll fix it? If you’re confident, you may be able to apply to DO schools and check the box that says you’re retaking the MCAT in August.
If you’re not positive you can raise that score by August, I’d say wait a year. Take more science courses to raise that GPA, study your behind off and really rock the MCAT next year. Then you’ll be in better shape going into the application process and won’t feel like you’re behind the 8-ball all the time.
Good luck, whatever your decision!

Quote:

Hi all! I’ve been lurking for a while but deicded to post. I got my mcat scores back but unfortunately did not do that great (21). My volunteer work is great, I have a 3.3 overall gpa (my science gpa is about a 3.6, my overall gpa was diluted by some business classes). My question, should I bother applying now? (perhaps to some DO schools or schools with alower requirements) or should I wait to apply after I retake the mcat (and hopefull higher scores after I apply myself to some intense studying. Thanks for your responces, I’m not sure what to do.
Paul g.

Hi Paul,
You definitely need a re-take on the MCAT but be sure that you analyze and figure out why your score was so low. Are you low in one area or are three areas low?
Once you have an idea of your weaknesses, correct them. Did you do enough practice tests? Practice, practice and more practice is the key to doing well on MCAT. You need to get a solid handle on how to master this type of application test because USMLE (if you go allopathic) is along the same genre.
Do you need to invest in a good prep course? Did you have a weak fund of knowledge? With a 3.6 science GPA, it sounds like your fund of knowledge is OK but you have some problems applying it. This kind of problem can be fixed with the right test prep teaching and practice.
Do you need to take more classes? I am not certain that you actually do need more classes other than MCAT Test prep. While that 3.3 is on the lower side of many medical schools, your 3.6 science GPA is more than adequate for many schools. If you take another course, it should be something upper division science or critical reading and analysis.
Start looking into figuring out exactly where you can make strides in getting your MCAT into the 30s. I certainly think that this is possible with your 3.6 science GPA provided you get a handle on the MCAT testing methods.
Good luck and welcome!
Natalie

Hi Paulg,
I just PMed you. Check your PM box.

Thanks for all your quick responces! This is truely a useful forum! I’m hoping my “problem” was that I only studied passively and not actively (I know, I know, I shoulda have been doing questions and practice tests!) I learned my lesson now. I will plan on taking the mcat in August and will spend my time until then prepping!
My question. If I do send an application in now and get discounted (rejection letters from schools), what will happen if I do indeed do better… do I write a letter to the schools asking for reconsideration, or is this all part of the process (will they know about the second score?)
thanks for all your responces! (and Amy for your inspiring PM!)

I forgot to mention that I have been shadowing a family practice doctor this summer as well. At first I thought that it was mainly all “routine” checkups, but the experience has shown me that the problems people came in with were quite diverse and his task variety was high (in my opinion). It was also interesting to see people that had a long history with them and their families. I had never considered that this line of practice would interest me. After seeing it firsthand, I thought it was very fascintating to see the doc coming up with the diagnoses.
thanks for listening to my comments!
Paul g.

Quote:

Thanks for all your quick responces! This is truely a useful forum! I’m hoping my “problem” was that I only studied passively and not actively (I know, I know, I shoulda have been doing questions and practice tests!) I learned my lesson now. I will plan on taking the mcat in August and will spend my time until then prepping!
My question. If I do send an application in now and get discounted (rejection letters from schools), what will happen if I do indeed do better… do I write a letter to the schools asking for reconsideration, or is this all part of the process (will they know about the second score?)
thanks for all your responces! (and Amy for your inspiring PM!)

I’m pretty sure there is a spot on the ‘Standardized test’ portion of MCAT that asks if you plan to take the August MCAT. I thought that if that was the case, they would hold off looking at you until those scores came in. So, yes - they know all about retakers. There are a bunch of retakers my TPR classes now, in the same boat as you.
-Matt

Its hard to say about the MCAT score. I scored a 22 and didn’t get in, though Mary BB (last year’s prez) did the same and DID get in VCOM. Since they will look at all your grades, including the business ones, get the overall gpa figured and see if it is 3.3 or below. I was in your situation so I wanted you to know.
Kathy

A 21 is on the low side but it is all dependant on the school. It may be to your advantage to speak with someone in admissions and get a better feel for what you should do.
Did you feel that you amply prepared for the test? Even just 2 more points in each section would raise your score to a more competative ranking.