low undergrad GPA

I am sure this topic has been discussed extensively. I do apologize for asking this.
I finished my undergrad (Electrical Engineering) in 1997 with a GPA 2.89. I am working fulltime and also have a family with one kid. I am just afraid that my low gpa will be the limiting factor in getting into med school.
I am doing very well in post-bacc courses. I have taken all the chemistry courses so far (A, A+, B, A+). So, I hope my good grades in post-bacc will help me.
I live in NC. But I was reading U of Florida’s website, and I got the feeling that med schools don’t look very positively if you have taken one or two courses a semester.
With fulltime job and family life, I just cannot take more than one course a semister. But in my humble opinion, I truly believe that I am an okay student. And I am much more interested in life science related materials than engineering… and of course I am passionate about becoming a physician.
Univ of Florida’s website suggested that 2 to 3 semesters of full load coursework would be very good for people with bad GPA in their undergrad. I just cannot imagine how I can do that. My wife doesn’t work. So, quiting job is out of question.
As you can see, I am a little depressed about the whole thing. I know I can do well in any courses I take now. But my past record keeps haunting me. And in the end, after all these hard work, I am worried that I will not gain admission somewhere.
Would appreciate any feedback/advise in this regard.
Shahab

If you live in NC, and presumably are an NC state resident, then I would guess you would want to apply to NC schools, since in general schools (particularly public, and some private ones as well) give preference to in-state residents. I would really suggest you contact the admissions department at a school that interests you and ask to make an appointment to talk to them about how you can become a competitive applicant.
Medical schools are all different, and what you need to know is what you’ll need to do to get into the ones you’ll apply to. I just made an appointment to meet with admissions officers at the two schools nearest me (with a little prodding from Judy Colwell, thanks Judy!) and I’ll be talking to them next week to see what they think I should do to be competitive.
How is the rest of your application going to look? How clearly can you explain your motivation for going into medicine? Have you been volunteering, shadowing physicians, do you have other clinical experience?
If your undergraduate grades are not stellar, you need to make sure everything else you have to offer is as good as you can possibly make it. It is not hopeless. There are many schools out there and they all look at different things. This journey may take longer than you might hope or want, but it’s WAY too early to be hopeless.
The thing to do now is figure out where you want to go, what is missing, and how to fix it.
Osteopathic schools have a reputation for looking a little more closely at your grades to see if there’s an upward trend and see how you’re doing now, so you may wish to consider that as well.