M.S. in biomedical science a good idea?

Hi everybody,

I have a few questions about possibly pursuing a masters degree prior to applying to medical school. I know there have been a lot of discussions floating around on the internet about this very topic, but I was just hoping to get some fresh info if no one minds.

The fact is, there are some indiscretions in my past that I feel could jeopardize applying right now. For example, I have some D’s and F’s and even C’s that are blemishing my record, and my gpa is 3.2. Couple with this is that I’m worried that my inconsistent track record in college (on-again, off-again) could be a red flag to the admission committee. Also, while I have several good grades, I wouldn’t say I have much of an upward trend until latter junior and senior years. Those are just a few of my worries.

So, I notice that my local university offers a Master of Science degree in biomedical sciences, which sounds appealing to me. I’ll be perfectly honest…I would be using it as a (hopeful) springboard into medical school, which might not be the wisest decision, but, if that fell through, then I would have something to fall back upon. I just just don’t know if it would help all that much in compensating for any past indiscretions.

I’ve researched this matter to an extent and I see that graduate school is by no means a golden ticket into medical school, and it looks like more weight is given to the undergraduate record than the graduate. I guess you could say I’m feeling pretty desperate and doggone it, if this would help me, why not? lol

Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcomed!

Thanks a bunch!!

Nah - spend your money taking the undergraduate required prereq courses, get mostly As, rock the MCAT, and apply.

Don’t let FUD cloud your focus.

Have you taken a practice MCAT yet? What did you score? High enough for you to say “my GPA isn’t too great but it doesn’t show how much I’ve learned like my MCAT does”? How are your extracurriculars? Do you have a good/cool/reasonable story for your grades and/or your on again-off again periods? Are you looking to get into an allopathic or osteopathic program?

I don’t think the answer is an easy yes or no. It depends highly on your whole story. If you do the M.S. you just have to understand that it can’t be your claim-to-fame. You’re still going to need to be well rounded.

• Matt1986 Said:
If you do the M.S. you just have to understand that it can't be your claim-to-fame.

MS is basically worthless for premed. I have a master's and it is irrelevant.

Well rounded is great once over the pre-req GPA and MCAT hurdles are cleared.

I still say no. Don't waste your time or your money.

It really is that easy... unless, of course, you don't get accepted to med school and the M.S. field is something you'd enjoy for a profession (and you're able to find a job in it).

Then, the answer is sure. Because at that point you're covered for life either way; however, you'd still need the pre-reqs covered.

I just read that you’re MCAT is a 40. With a 40 MCAT, I’m not really sure what an M.S. would do (if anything) for your application. Good luck!

What is your MS in? Is it in Biomed? Getting into a Biomed grad program requires having all the prereqs, a good GPA, and sometimes more. Most medical schools boast about the number of matriculants holding a graduate degree on their websites/class profiles (examples below). I’m pretty sure there is data on applicants/matriculants with graduate degrees but my MSAR is out on loan right now. I wouldn’t be so quick to generalize about a Biomed M.S. People often passively read these and search archived posts and then make decisions based on these posts. A Masters in Biomed for someone with poor grades could result in published papers, stronger science foundations, better LORs, more time to volunteer etc. I mean this all respectfully, of course and I think it’s important to have another perspective in the mix.

http://www.bumc.bu.edu/admissions/welcome/cl asspro…

http://brown.edu/academics/medical/adm ission/class…

http://casemed.case.edu/admissions/profile.cfm

I agree with Matt. There’s a lot more to applying than just the grades and MCAT. With a 40 MCAT you demonstrate scholastic aptitude. As for the irregular academic pattern…well, it just depends on the story behind it and what irregular really looks like. There is wisdom in getting into a Masters program, as Matt pointed out. Many opportunities could present themselves. However, whatever route you choose to demonstrate “academic readiness,” make sure you do truly outstanding!

• Linda B Said:
There's a lot more to applying than just the grades and MCAT.

Without that at the undergraduate PRE REQ level, you won't get into the interview "box" to be able to have the rest of the application reviewed.

• Linda B Said:
With a 40 MCAT you demonstrate scholastic aptitude.

True. That will help get into the interview box. BUT a master's is not that useful because, first and foremost, grade inflation and the expectation that everything will be above a "B"... a "C" in a master's program = F.

2nd - it is not pre-reqs.

Grad School Link #1

Grad School Link #2

Grad School Link #3

In addition to the links, I have researched every which way to show grade improvement for myself and have overwhelmingly found, the master's is nice but not helpful.

Also, a master's degree may not be enough for research if medical school does not pan out, in which case, a PhD is the route and generally speaking, the master's is NOT the route to PhD in the physical sciences. Most go BA --> PhD.

Again, unless you have a lot of extra cash sitting around, or won the lottery, or have plenty of time to spend, I would NOT use the MS to show grade improvement.

I would do the pre-reqs and get "A"s. Anyone telling you that grades don't matter is foolish. Anyone telling you the masters will overcome undergraduate medical school prereqs is misguided.

If it were that easy, I'd use the one I have an apply. It's a 4.0.

Instead, I am taking the pre-reqs with 20-somethings, and getting all the "A"s I can.

LAST, this board and every other one, is a forum for people to voice their own opinions based upon fact, conjecture, hypothesis, or trolling. I would strongly encourage you to use what you find here and elsewhere to ask the questions yourself of medical schools you are interested in.

MS for a premed? Waste of time!

fuzzylogician,

Is the Master of Science in biomedical sciences of which you speak a Special Masters Program (SMP) designed specifically for pre-meds that are borderline competitive? If so, does this program have linkage to a medical school? If it is an SMP, it may not be a bad idea, but you will still have to prove yourself via the pre-med pre-reqs & MCAT just to get into most SMPs, especially the ones with linkage. If it is not an SMP, then I agree with the other posters - this would likely lead to a dead-end.

62.5% of applicamts who have a GPA of 3.2-3.39 and an MCAT of 39-45 get accepted.

66.6% of applicants who have a GPA of 3.8-4.0 with an MCAT of 27-29 get accepted.

https://www.aamc.org/download/270906/data/ table24-…

Thank you to everyone who provided me with so much help on this topic! All of this information is very helpful!

In light of what you all have said, I guess it wouldn’t be very efficient to take an M.S. route. I don’t know if the program I was considering was technically an S.M.P. or not. It was an M.S. in biomedical sciences with various concentration, such as anatomy, biochemistry, physiology, pharmacology, and one or two other concentrations.

All of the advice you all have given has pretty well shown me that it would be better to bite the bullet and apply. Thank you all for the help!

• fuzzylogician Said:
I don't know if the program I was considering was technically an S.M.P. or not.

If the program is a true SMP, the schools are VERY open and direct about it being one. The linkage is very specific. For instance:

Creighton

Columbia

Georgetown

Since you are not sure, I am willing to be my great dane that it is not

(and if I am wrong, I'll be honest, you can't have him anyway!!)
  • Adoc2be Said:

Since you are not sure, I am willing to be my great dane that it is not

(and if I am wrong, I'll be honest, you can't have him anyway!!)

HAHAHA!! That's o.k., I already have my share of pets!

This program mentions nothing explicit about being an S.M.P. It just mentions that it could facilitate admission into medical school, otherwise, no more is mentioned as far as medicine goes.
  • fuzzylogician Said:
This program mentions nothing explicit about being an S.M.P. It just mentions that it could facilitate admission into medical school, otherwise, no more is mentioned as far as medicine goes.

I think you've made a good decision about pursuing the M.S. as means into med school. However, if you find an SMP program that works for you, my opinion is entirely different. I considered them as well but have DIY grade redemption via undergrad pre-reqs to show my "value" so to speak. And there are no SMP programs in my state.