Major ?

Hello,
I am a sophomore in college right now and I’m wondering which major looks better on a med school application a Bio or Nursing. I would love to become a pediatric surgeon but, didn’t know which route to take.

It really comes down to what you want to major in and what you feel you will enjoy the most. Medical schools take in any majors.

Having said that, I think you have to ask yourself a few questions:
-In the case you don’t get into med school, what do you see yourself doing in the future (biology vs nursing)?
-Which major helps you get your pre-reqs courses done the easiest (i.e. does nursing require organic chem 2? It is usually a pre-req for matriculation into med school)
-Which major gives you the best change to get into medical school (i.e. evaluating experiences, recommendation letters, networking, time to apply, study for the MCAT, etc.)

I can’t tell you what you should major in because you need to ask yourself questions. If I had to choose, I would pick Bio immediately. I personally don’t see myself as a nurse and I know biology would satisfy my inner drives more.

Hope that helps.

Look into any specific schools you’re thinking about applying to. I remember seeing at least 1 school 5 years ago that did NOT accept nursing credits in place of prereqs. They had a stipulation that the prereqs had to be done through specific departments and not the nursing program. For example, if Bio 101 and Nurs 102 cover the exact same material, they would only accept Bio 101 and NOT Nurs 102 for the bio prereq. I’m sure all of the courses would still be included in the overall gpa though.

I can’t remember what school it was or if it was only one school. I just remember that specifically because it really stood out to me.

Aside from that, what you choose to major in really doesn’t matter as long as you do well in it. Like above, choose something you enjoy because it might be what you do for the rest of your life… I was an engineering major, we have art majors, and history majors, and everything else in my class, though there is a good amount of bio type folks as well.