Masters vs post bacc

After listening to several of your podcasts, I’ve heard you hone down on an undergrad post bacc is superior to a masters. However, from my little understanding is that masters are more challenging academically. Therefore, that masters would show the medical school you’re qualified due to being able to handle the rigors of said masters. Why would going back to take undergrad classes be better than taking the more challenging masters program?

Medical schools care about your undergrad GPA more than your graduate GPA because it is a longitudinal picture rather than a snapshot of 1 year. SMPs are different because they typically have linkages to medical schools (eg: Western University CA).

1 Like

As for post-bacc v.s. master’s, that would also depend on whether you’re a career changer who needs to take pre-reqs or academic enhancer who is trying to improve their GPA/MCAT score. I am in a post-bacc because I need pre-reqs in order to apply to med school. One of the great things about UC Berkeley Extension is they help both career changers and academic enhancers. If I don’t get into medical school when I (hopefully) apply in 2022, I would take upper division science classes at UCBx. I think taking classes there is at least a little less expensive than a SMP.