Match Day 2010 Done!

Congrats to all those members who who recently learned where they will be starting residency this summer!

I, myself, am headed to Medical College of Wisconsin and am VERY excited.

Headed to Kalamazoo for an emergency medicine residency. Very excited, although have tons of stuff to do before then.

SUNY Upstate Prelim medicine, then SUNY Upstate Anesthesiology.

Many congrats to you all! I am proud of you cats!

awesome!!!

Congrats!!

Congratulations to all of you.

Absolutely fantabulous!! Amazing how many OPMers are moving onward and upward!!

Moving to El Paso for emergency medicine at Thomason Hospital. Can’t wait.

Good for you, IAN.

I did not Match. I want to start a PGY 1 in July, because I feel that I am running out of time…

I will take an unpaid position to get clinical medical training and take Step 3. I am an IMG, American Citizen, ECFMG certification. I was a mental health counselor for many years before med school in Italy (2006). One year of post-doc fellowship at the National Crime Victim Center (MUSC Charleston, SC). Any advice?

I know I’m late, but congrats guys!

Good luck to you, regana. I can only imagine that the determination that’s gotten you this far can bring you further, as well.

• In reply to:
did not Match. I want to start a PGY 1 in July, because I feel that I am running out of time.....

I will take an unpaid position to get clinical medical training and take Step 3. I am an IMG, American Citizen, ECFMG certification. I was a mental health counselor for many years before med school in Italy (2006). One year of post-doc fellowship at the National Crime Victim Center (MUSC Charleston, SC). Any advice?

Regana -

Very sorry to hear that you didn't match.

It's really tough to give you advice without knowing more about what you were trying to match in, as well as whether or not there were other limiting factors (i.e. are you limited in location?) Did you try to scramble into an open IM, FP or prelim spot? If not, why not?

I applied to Psychiatry and Family Medicine in both Match and Scramble. Nothing came through. I am getting nervous now because there are no openings coming up…I would move anywhere to do start a PGY 1. I live in SC now. I am also willing to be unpaid, but want to get credit for the internship year. They tell me that some hospitals would have unpaid interns, but nobody seem to know where. My Step 1 is 79 and Step 2CK 80, CS passed on 1st attempt, the others I have taken more then once…it seems to be so difficult for an IMG to get in. I am very discouraged. If you want to know more about my application I can send you my CV and PS. Thank you for replying.

• orange man Said:
Good for you, IAN.

Thanks! Don't know who you are, but you apparently know me! LOL

Regana;

Have you had any luck? I am sure you must be frustrated and discouraged. I am afraid your challenges are deeper than being an IMG. From your posts, I have gleaned that you have taken at least one, if not more, of your board steps more than once to pass. Furthermore, scores in the upper-70s & low-80s are not too competitive. And, I think your position has been further weakened by taking so much time off since med school graduation, which I gather was in 2006.

You face substantial challenges in landing a PGY 1 slot & probably again for years 2+. However, and I am postulating here, I would think that contacting the ERAS application people to see if they have a list of unfilled PGY 1 spots still available would be a reasonable starting point. Another option would be to go to FREIDA and print off a list of the FP & Psych programs - and call them.

Just a few random thoughts…