Math requirements

Hello,
I am just starting my post-bacc premed (I'm 28 years old), and I have a ton of questions, but right now this is the one foremost in my mind:
I read the FAQ about math requirements, but unfortunately the responses didn't really apply to my situation. I have a BS in Computer Science , so I took plenty of math while I was in school including stats and calculus), however, I took most of them before 1995. Is there an expiration date on these classes or should I take them over again?
Thanks,
erica

Erica,
It's according to what medical school you apply what mathematics is needed. Check the admissions viewbooks for more info or ask some of our members that are currently in med school what their schools require. Take care and best wishes!

QUOTE (erica @ Sep 1 2003, 09:17 PM)
Hello,
I am just starting my post-bacc premed (I'm 28 years old), and I have a ton of questions, but right now this is the one foremost in my mind:
I read the FAQ about math requirements, but unfortunately the responses didn't really apply to my situation. I have a BS in Computer Science , so I took plenty of math while I was in school including stats and calculus), however, I took most of them before 1995. Is there an expiration date on these classes or should I take them over again?
Thanks,
erica

Hi there,
You need to check the rules of the medical schools that you want to apply to. Regs on age of pre-med courses are very school dependent. Some will take older coursework as long as you have some recent courses that demonstrate that your brain is still alive while others want courses that are no more than five years old. You really have to check with the admissions offices or handbooks of each school. The internet is a good starting point.
Natalie cool.gif

Natalie,
If a school wants courseword younger than 5 years, does that mean you have to take them again?
Also, to contact admission boards, is email alright or is a letter better?
Thank you!
lily biggrin.gif

Lily,
Probably the best way to contact admissions offices with questions such as “how old can courses be?” is by phone. But you could try e-mail too. Obviously if you send an e-mail and don’t get an answer within a few days, you’ll want to try some other method.
This sort of informal question does not require a letter if you ask me.
If the courses are older than they want, then yes, you’d have to take them again. Those old grades are still included in your GPA, though - it’s not the med schools that determine the GPA, it’s the central application clearinghouse, AMCAS (for allopathic schools) or AACOMAS (for osteopathic schools).
There are LOTS of discussions about GPA, how it’s calculated, how old grades can be, etc. scattered through these boards. If you don’t come up with anything when you do a search, be sure you’ve re-set the date so that you’re looking through old stuff as well as posts from the past month. good luck!