Math Requirements???

Hello everyone,

First off thanks for all your help. I have 2 questions as far as math requirements.

1. When schools require a year of Calculus or Statistics will they accept a semester of Calculus I and a semester of Statistics I?

2. I haven’t taken any math in 4 years. I did good in my College Algebra back in the days and OK in Statistics. Will jumping into Calculus I be difficult or should I take pre-calculus first?

Thanks!
  • Mel82 Said:
Hello everyone,

First off thanks for all your help. I have 2 questions as far as math requirements.

1. When schools require a year of Calculus or Statistics will they accept a semester of Calculus I and a semester of Statistics I?

2. I haven't taken any math in 4 years. I did good in my College Algebra back in the days and OK in Statistics. Will jumping into Calculus I be difficult or should I take pre-calculus first?

Thanks!

Most schools require a year of college-level math...one class in stats and one in calc will work for pretty much any school outside Harvard; they're the only school I know of who wants a full year of calculus.

I'm taking calculus 2 right now and honestly I think pre-calculus was a very big help for me, however, it completely depends on how good at math you are. If you have the option to take the "watered down" calculus for life science majors that doesn't have an enormous amount of trig or proofs in it, and just teaches you how to do the calc, then I would say go to www.purplemath.com which is an excellent algebra review site and make sure you know algebra inside and out...knowing basic trig such as angles, sine, cosine, tangent, etc. wouldn't hurt either.

One thing I learned real quick in calculus...it's not the calculus that'll kill you; it's the algebra. The majority of mistakes by people in the class (including me) on quizzes and exams, no matter how big or small, are algebraic mistakes.