May I ask y'all something?

Ok, I am currently a licensed Nursing Assistant. I was thinking of working as such to garner patient contact experience for my medical school application. My question is this: I was also thinking of getting an LPN nursing license (would take a year) and would run concurrently with prerequisite classes for medical school. I am not in any danger of a course overload because I am taking the prerequisites one at a time. My current job is on graveyard (NOC shift). Should I do it to become an LPN (LVN in California & Texas if not familiar) or just work as a CNA? Btw a CNA here makes $12/hr while an LPN makes $19/hr.

Your thoughts?

• mooneyline702 Said:
Ok, I am currently a licensed Nursing Assistant. I was thinking of working as such to garner patient contact experience for my medical school application. My question is this: I was also thinking of getting an LPN nursing license (would take a year) and would run concurrently with prerequisite classes for medical school. I am not in any danger of a course overload because I am taking the prerequisites one at a time. My current job is on graveyard (NOC shift). Should I do it to become an LPN (LVN in California & Texas if not familiar) or just work as a CNA? Btw a CNA here makes $12/hr while an LPN makes $19/hr.

Your thoughts?

The perception that RN who plan to jump to MD school have reduced acceptances seems apply as nursing is a career-track. LPN seems not as strong in this concept. I do not think taking and having it will be a negative while applying and will certainly have you in patient contact roles to gain experience.

Every med school I have talked to have been excited about an RN applying. I asked about the perception that their applications are not as strong due to having a career path. All the schools said they would take nurses over anything else. We have clinical experiance. We have assessment experience. We know medications, how to handle patients, and medical terminology. I went from a NA to CNA to LPN to RN. I am proud of my path and excited for my future in medicine! PM me if you have anymore questions. Good luck!

Med schools do like experienced RN’s that apply to medical school. What is NOT looked upon quite as favorably is people who get their degree in nursing with the intent of going to medical school. There is, in general, a nursing shortage and long waiting lists for clinical spots at many nursing programs. As such, they don’t like to see spots wasted on people who really have no intention of working in the profession.

If one’s goal is med school, you are correct, taking a BSN slot would not be the way to go. But if one is already an ASN and wants to use the BSN to complete their B.S. requirement, then they should do so, as these programs differ. BSN programs on top of pre-meds can be very difficult, and clinicals can start in the middle of semesters, disrupting classes outside of nursing which are already in progress. For the OP it depends on her situation, what her goals are, where she is already at education wise and with her pre-meds. A Bio degree may be more condusive with the classes she already has to take.