May this be a sign of things to come

I was sitting at lunch in the cafeteria of the hospital I work at. I was reading my accounting chapter that the professor will go over tonight.
The cafeteria was unusually bustling today because of the weather and since I had my own table a gentleman asked he minded if I sat down. Naturally I said no problem.
We were both enjoying our lunch and I my chapter on bad debts when I happened to look at his ID badge. What did I see, but the letters D.O. after his name. I asked him if he was a Osteopathic Doctor and we got to talking. I siezed my opportunity. I asked if I can shadow him.
He told me, no problem and gave me his clinic hours. He also told me that he had several other students shadow him and they were accepted to top schools. Incidentally he went to PCOM.
The fact that things are falling into place makes me feel awesom. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come within the next 9 months.
I used to be shy and reserved and this would have never happened. I have learned to Carpe Diem. And here is the payoff.
CARPE DIEM!!!

Congratulations! You have just learned the importance of networking. You saw the letters, DO, asked the appropriate question, and now you are on your way to shadowing.
Have fun! And remember to network whenever the opportunity arises.

Damned strong work! “Luck” tends to happen more frequently for those who are confident & prepared. I cannot imagine you did anything other than impress him by displaying the maturity to network & create your opportunity.
Best of luck & success to you!

sounds like a good start on a potentially great adventure!
I had to comment on your tag line though. I am a fan of Robert Frost as well. But most people know only that bit of the poem and miss the point. It isn’t a praise for taking a path not many others chose: "but as to that the passage there had worn them really about the same"
It is the lament of an old man in some ways regretting not having ventured other ways: “I shall be saying this with a sigh, somewhere ages and ages hence”
The truth in it may be more than you know - for I think that many here are trying not to be that old man - living with the regret of the path not taken.
Here is the whole thing:
TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth; 5

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same, 10

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back. 15

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference. 20

I have the entire poem pinned to my office wall. I think it speaks a lot. However, the tag line, speaks to me not as a positive message but rather as a reflection of my life.
By taking the road less taken to become a doctor, I have become more mature and will be able to understand the needs to patients a little better. I will understand how parents feel seeing their children in a hospital. I will also understand the fear that children would feel seeing their parents so vulnerable.
The tag line, sums up my life. That it has not been an easy journey because the road that I am no is certainly not paved.

As far as the poem–I think it’s one of the most ambivalent reflections on life decisions of all time. He just ends up where he ends up–he means to go back and try the first path but never does. He also chose that path rather randomly–wasn’t setting out to achieve something or make a statement. I think the “that has made all the difference” line is meant sarcastically. It gets misquoted by high school graduation speakers and so forth ad nauseum–though I’d never use it myself for the sake of inspiration. But I really like that poem–it’s great to hear people’s opinions!
As far as shadowing–I think it is good practice to be outgoing and try to chat people up when you have the chance. I volunteered in the ER for two years and never did that until very recently! To relate it back to literature–I guess I’d read so many Victorian novels that I had this image whereby the lowly volunteers where several social castes lower than the doctors and never the twain should meet! What a scandal that would be. I seriously think I went out of my way to stay in my proper place and never talk to them.
I only got to know one of them after I fainted and he told me a story about a med student who used to faint all the time. Now I am shadowing 3 docs in this ER–so that’s a couple times a week at least, up to 8 hours at a time–and they’re really nice and friendly too! I realize now how ridiculous it is not to network. For people (like me) who see “networking” as slightly sleazy and self-interested–just try to get over it and see it as getting to know more people and learning about what they do. You never know–a lot of them actually enjoy teaching stuff to students like us.
Congratulations and good luck!