MCAT/Application timing (probably often asked)

(Hopefully) quick question that probably y’all know the answer to – do most people wait to submit their applications until AFTER they recieve their MCAT results? What exactly is the lag for MCAT results?
It just seems like (God forbid) if someone gets a below average MCAT score, that submitting a bunch of applications ahead of the MCAT time could be expensive and kind of self-defeating.
Does anyone have any insight on this?

You find out your MCAT scores in a little under 60 days after you take the test. If you take the MCAT in April (which is generally everyone’s first choice for timing), you get your scores back right around the opening of application season, so you CAN wait to file your application until you know your scores.
Just a few years ago, this wasn’t the case… the opening date for the AMCAS application was June 1 but MCAT scores didn’t come back til late June. I was one of those hopeful and worried folk who applied “cold” and then fretted a LOT about those scores. Fortunately my gut feeling that I’d done well was correct - and I will say, if you do LOTS and LOTS of full-length practice tests, you may be able to get a sense of how the real thing goes, too. (though this isn’t always the case) But anyway, I mention this anecdote simply to say “I hear ya” on the worry that you’ll dump a bunch of money and look like an idiot. It kept me awake some nights
Caveat: my info is definitely not current for specific dates. For the latest CORRECT information on MCAT dates, score report dates, and application deadlines for allopathic schools, go to www.aamc.org … application info for osteopathic schools is at https://aacomas.aacom.org/
But anyway, if you’re planning on the April MCAT, you can definitely delay your application til you see your scores. Obviously that’s not going to work for August scores but that’s a whole 'nother discussion.

Thanks for the response. Holy cats, it must have been rough for people to wait for your MCAT score after submitting the application!! OMG, that would be a lot of stress in the gap !!
Like I said, God forbid I get a bad MCAT score, but it is good to know that if I do end up getting a bad score, I can save a little bit of $$.
I am taking the approach of taking a prep class at Kaplan, and they have 4-5 full length tests to gauge me before I go into the real thing. For me, I think that this is important. If I am not scoring well towards the end of taking that prep class, I will wait to take the MCAT until I do end up doing OK on the fake tests.
Hopefully this is a wise approach. I am also not taking any other classes (and working full-time) to approach it, so it is certainly the focus of the next 1/2 year.
Anyways, thanks again for the response, I couldn’t find that info anywhere on the AMCAS site, and figured some other people had probably ran into that thought before.