MCAT cancels FLA test sites!!!

No - this is NOT a hoax. According to the AAMC’s website, they have canceled tests at the following sites due to the upcoming tropical storms/hurricanes:
* Cancellations as of August 12:
Eckerd College, St. Petersburg, FL
Hillsborough CC Plant City, Plant City, FL
Univ of Central Florida, Orlando, FL
Univ of South Florida, Tampa, FL
Univ of South Florida (SUN), Tampa, FL
Hillsborough Community College Dale Mabry Campus, Tampa, FL
No word on the website about if or when those affected will be allowed to take the test.
I hope this doesn’t affect anyone!

Actually - upon rereading their announcement, does anyone else think it seems a bit vague???
It says “Cancellations as of Aug 12”. I assume it means those test sites have been cancelled, and they are not referring to people cancelling due to the upcoming storms.
Amy

I would read “cancellations as of August 12” to mean that they reserve the right to add to the list, depending on the track of the storm. Wow that sucks for the folks affected. Was there any mention made of how those people will be accommodated? With the AAMC’s security-conscious focus I can’t imagine how they could arrange for a later test date - but I also can’t imagine how they could tell everyone to go to, say, Atlanta or New Orleans for the test. Huh.
Mary

No mention on AAMC’s website of how they are accomodating people. According to people who have been affected and are posting on SDN, when they call and ask, they are being told that the test will be rescheduled for them, but they don’t know when. Most likely in 2 - 4 weeks.
It’s being discussed on SDN the fairness/unfairness of the people affected being able to take it at a later date. Personally, I’m kind of ambivalent about it. It’s not their fault the test is being delayed, so they shouldn’t be punished for it, but at the same time, I would be THRILLED to have a couple more weeks to prep.
I think it will affect different people different ways. Probably some people will be able to get better scores due to the extended study time, others will do worse, because they were so psyched to go this satuday. Probably the vast majority will do the same.
Amy

I can’t find any of this information on the website.
Where are you guys finding this?
btw… they’ve cancelled all of our county sponsored school activities here tomorrow (for the kids)… I’m not exactly sure why as it’s not supposed to hit here until tomorrow afternoon/evening.
having lived on the coast (well, 1.5 hours in) for the last 11 years it never fails to amaze me how people freak out about stuff like this… I could see that it would be necessary if we were on the beach… but not where we are…
I will be so unbelievably TICKED OFF (nice version of what I"m thinking) if the MCAT gets canceled here tomorrow.
Andrea

I just now found it… looks like there are some cancellations in Georgia and SC as well…
here’s the link…
http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/start.htm

Hey everyone, the site has been updated with a few more schools. (the citadel, Charleston, SC). If you want to see the schools they have officially closed go to the aamc website:http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/start.htm
Good luck to everyone tomorrow! I know we will all kick MCAT butt!
Marcia