MCAT question

Is there any kind of guide or book that lets me know what to really focus on as I go through my pre-med studies?
For instance, right now I am in Chem 1…ovioulsy I will never remember every single thing with this class, so what should I make SURE I take with me for the MCAT later on down the road? I would like to have an idea of what the main points are for each class as I go along (Physics, any math I really need to know, ochem, physiology, etc).
Thanks,
Marilyn

You could buy one of the MCAT review books - they summarize the information needed for the MCAT. For example- I have Examkrackers and Kaplan. You can get them through Amazon or through this website - I think through OPM you may get a discount.

I purchased Examkrackers Audio Osmosis CD set and they seemed to work pretty well. I listened to them when I drive to school, etc. I have a short-term memory problem and they really helped me remember some of the key topics for the MCAT.

If you buy the Kalan big comprehensive book and use it, then you should have no problems with knowing which topics to study. You can buy it at any book store for ~$60. It covers all the topics, PS, BS and VS and writing topics.

Quote:

Is there any kind of guide or book that lets me know what to really focus on as I go through my pre-med studies?
For instance, right now I am in Chem 1…ovioulsy I will never remember every single thing with this class, so what should I make SURE I take with me for the MCAT later on down the road? I would like to have an idea of what the main points are for each class as I go along (Physics, any math I really need to know, ochem, physiology, etc).
Thanks,
Marilyn

Hi Marilyn,
MCAT is a test that measures application of the material that you are learning in your General Chemistry class. It is not necessary to “memorize” everything in General or Organic Chemistry for the MCAT. You need to focus on the application of what you have learned in your coursework. When the time comes, you will need to focus on reviewing your General Chemistry knowledge but you can’t REVIEW what you have not learned in the first place so put your emphasis now on learning your coursework well. The MCAT tests reasoning, analytical ability and problem solving so approach your coursework with these things in mind. Reasoning,analaytical ability and problem solving cannot be learned by memorization but learned by practice. Use your day to day learning as your practice of these principles.
Medicine and pre-medicine is about learning how to learn. You need to focus on studying smart and studying efficiently. You can purchase an MCAT review book at this point but obtaining a list of topics covered is enough. When the time comes, if you have truely mastered your coursework, you will begin to focus on practicing the test-taking skills that you need for applying your knowledge to the MCAT. This task can be mastered with practice and more practice. There is an on-line practice program available from the MCAT website that you can use as you get closer to the time that you will be taking this test.
There is a 26-page PDF file of topics for the MCAT that is available from their website. I would suggest that you go to the website and download a copy of this publication. It is all that you need at this point to guide you in your coverage of your coursework.
Good luck!
Natalie

Thanks for the reply’s everyone, I really appreciate it
Marilyn

Quote:

Thanks for the reply’s everyone, I really appreciate it
Marilyn

BTW, shop around for the MCAT materials. I found the best price on the Examkrackers series (books and audioosmosis) was at walmart.com (they also had the books when everyone else was backordered).