MCAT results when applying....

If you take the test twice and score better the first time than the second which score can you submit? Is it possible to submit the 1st score without the schools seeing the 2nd?

Reason I ask is a coworker claims to have taken the exam twice and done better the first time around than the second. I don’t believe she’s even taken it once but…she claims she can just give the higher score without penalty. Is this true?

I’ve been cautioned not to take the test until ready. If I have to retake then make darn sure I will get a higher score because a lower score would be the kiss of death…so which is it?

There’s no “submitting” or “not submitting” of MCAT scores, the AAMC does it themselves. Your MCAT scores are printed right there on your AMCAS-- I’m looking right at it now. All of them, sorted by date taken.

As Matt stated, I don’t think there is a choice in the matter…however, I have noticed that some med schools will take the best MCAT.

Considering the cost, I would rather wait until I was good and prepared before attempting the test. There are enough practice tests you can do before the actual test.

• croooz Said:
If you take the test twice and score better the first time than the second which score can you submit? Is it possible to submit the 1st score without the schools seeing the 2nd?

As of a few years ago AMCAS/MCAT made the decision that you could not not release your scores once you took the test. Every take/retake gets included on your AMCAS application. Most med schools look at the most recent scores, some look at the best in each category if you took the test more than once. A few schools average the scores.

It's definitely worth waiting until you are fully prepared before you take the MCAT. You don't want to take it twice if you can possibly avoid it.

Cheers,

Judy

Thanks guys/gals. I wasn’t asking for myself. I just don’t believe a word this girl says. I’ve caught her in too many lies and this just adds to them.

You’ve got a highly developed b.s. detector, that will serve you well in the E.D., Crooz!

• Mary Renard Said:
You've got a highly developed b.s. detector, that will serve you well in the E.D., Crooz!

Always have. Trust me as a kid it's not a good thing....not a good thing in the military....not a good thing as the Pastor's assistant...... Thank G-d for the ED! I figured it would come in handy eventually....still have to wait 6 years to put it to work.

It’s also the same for other standardized tests, e.g. GRE, LSAT, etc. All your scores are submitted, but it’s up to the institution which ones they consider.